• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import list shows every possible file in every possible folder

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only want to search a particular folder to import from, but anything I do it tries to list every possible file, ie game folders, app folders, just wrong.  How to restrict search to certain folders only.  Seems blocking with permissions is about only option that works. It even finds files in the recycle bin, pretty dumb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Source section, left hand side of the import dialog window, is like a Drive/Folder file manager. It lists every drive connected to your computer (including any network connected drives and folder) and when you expand the drive letter it will list every folder on that drive.

If you Expand a folder and it has other Subfolders under it you will see those too.

There is also an option at the top to "Include Subfolders". That option is to let LR Search every folder and subfolder below the folder, or drive, you have selected. So If I select my C drive LR will search the entire drive for image files.

These image file LR finds will be displayed in the main, center, section of that dialog window. Like this.

Import dialog include subfolders c drive.PNG

But only image files are displayed in the center area and never are Files shown on the left. Only Drives and folder are shown on the left.

If you do not want LR to search all folders and subfolder on a drive then Uncheck the option to "Include Subfolder" at the top of the left hand Source section.
Then you can browse down through your folders/subfolder to find the one you are looking for and want to import onlyh the images from that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, will try that.  I have thousands of files and folders on a nas drive, sure would be nice if it let me tell it to only use the folder I tell it to search.  I don't want it to do anything on c but store the lightroom catalog 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put every pictures I own into thousands of folders in a single folder call pictures on my nas drive.  I keep importing and each time it still shows files in the import screen on every possible connected drive. Just hard to tell in I only want the catalog to build from one source, very strange for a simple task is so hard in lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

js46263718  wrote

I put every pictures I own into thousands of folders in a single folder call pictures on my nas drive.  I keep importing and each time it still shows files in the import screen on every possible connected drive. Just hard to tell in I only want the catalog to build from one source, very strange for a simple task is so hard in lightroom

I find it just the opposite. LR is one of the easiest programs to use.

You are more than likely Highlighting, Selecting, the NAS drive. Stop doing that and click the Triangle to the left of the NAS drive letter or name to Expand the list of Folders on that NAS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure is some newbie mistake. Setting up a newly installed lightroom app, and first time catalog create for entire picture library and it kept showing files from sources I did not want to be there.  I tried again, this time selecting the specific folder only, time will tell now as it starts the search.  thx much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you NEW to LR? IE is this the first time you have ever used Adobe Photoshop Lightroom?

If not there is No Need to Start a New Catalog. you should use the Catalog that was on your old computer and or used with the previous version of LR you were using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok in the import dialog window make sure Include Subfolders isn't checked then near the top of the main area in the center you will see 2 options, All Photos and New Photos. Make sure New Photos is selected. That way only images that are NOT already in the LR catalog file will be displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then make sure the C drive label is not selected.

In fact never
Select any drive letter and just Expand the drive to show the folders by clicking the triangle to the left of the drive letter. Same for the folders stored in the ROOT of the drive. Expand it by clicking the triangle and only Select the folder you want to import images from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines