Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom before and after not synced

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

As a fairly recent user of Lightroom CC, I noticed something unusual (could well be my fault!).

In the Develop module - when I do a "Before" and "After" view - the pictures are not synced. i.e., even when I reset the picture, the "After" picture does not look like the "Before" picture.

Is this an issue, or am I doing something wrong?

Appreciate any input!

Best,

C

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before = NO adjustments made!

After = With adjustments made.

There would be no point to Before / After if there were no changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure you read the entire post. Even when the picture is reset, the before and after pictures aren't the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, you're saying that the before image is a completely different image. Is that right? I've never seen that before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response.

It's the same picture, however, with some elements altered. For example, the colors are more vibrant on the "before" picture, with more saturated reds and greens.

I assumed the reset button would make the pictures the same. But that isn't the case!

Any idea why that may be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know what to tell you. I just reset an image that I had developed and then did a before/after comparison. They were the same. Was it the same image, or did you have the original and a copy? Is this a raw or JPEG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was the original, and these are RAW files. It appears to be happening with quite a few pictures.

Thanks for the response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a picture of the difference (see below). As you can see - the carpeting on the stairs look faded in the 'After' picture. This is after I click 'Reset' in the develop module.

Appreciate any help.

Also, for what it's worth - the 'Before' looks pretty good - and I would be happy just using it as is...

Here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The date on this post is really old. How did it get to the top of the list? Also, the screenshot displayed is of an older version. What is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless what pushed this to the top of the list, replying to it has done so again!

some observations:

• "Before" does not necessarily show the image without any editing - any other History state of the image may be set as the 'source' state for this comparison, instead.
  • "Before" has a special usage in the case of soft proofing / virtual copies.
  • An image that has got previous / other editing metadata saved to it, and loaded in by LR at import or subsequently, may thus look different than an "unprocessed" (= default processed) image so far as LR is concerned,
  • "Reset" does not necessarily put the image back as it originally was before any editing - it just imposes afresh whatever settings exist as the current processing defaults for this type of image (Raw or non-raw, per camera model as relevant, perhaps with differing settings per ISO value / per serial no if LR is so configured.) If I've changed those defaults on Tuesday, the result from pressing Reset will be different on Wednesday, than it was on Monday.
  • The first history state of the image as seen before any further editing. may reflect a preset applied during import - and even if the processing defaults are unchanged in the meanwhile, a later Reset and this first seen state may therefore look different from each other.
  • And if this preset has been updated meanwhile, even re-applying the same preset originally used at import, will now have a different impact than before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi !

I'm answering years later but I have been struggling with the same issue and I finally found a solution that worked for me. It was an issue with GPU acceleration. I had to disable "accentuate image sharpness" in the AMD Radeon Software". A work around is to disable GPU acceleration in Lightroom preferences. 

Best, 

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines