• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sorting of LR photos by capture date/time

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a need to be able to sort my photos by the date and time they were taken.  I have already imported the raw files into LR Classic.  I need to export them as .jpg in the time they were taken not the file name.  I use 2 cameras for events and am randomly using both cameras.  When I import them they are sorted by filename.  I want to sort them in order of time they were taken to give to my clients in that order.  I know I could prior to importing them into LR sort by date and do a batch rename in Windows explorer then import them into LR, which I could then sort in the order of time taken but I have already imported them into LR and done edits on over 500 images.  I can't do the sorting after exporting from LR to .jpg because the time stamp is the time they were exported not created.

Anyone know of a solution.  I can't find anywhere in LR to sort by time taken prior to export or during the export process.

Help would be appreciated.

Thank you much!

D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Will sorting by capture time work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will sorting by capture time work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that did work Jim.  I thought after exporting from LR the files were saved with a time stamp of when the files were exported.  They however are exported with the original file date and time which can be then sorted in Windows explorer, renamed and windows assigns a consecutive number to the remaining files on your selected list. 

Thank Your Sir for replying.

LR however, dosen't have an option to sort files in the catalog by anything other than filename which is the default.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? One of the sort options is to sort by Capture Time. You can sort by capture time, file name, added order, edit time and several other options. Where did you get the idea that file name is the only option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about sorting the pictures already imported in LR.  If so, how

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not see the Tool Bar- Press T

Click the drop-down menu to the right of [Sort: ]

ScreenShot148.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you WobertC

I didn't see that.  toolbar was turned on but I overlooked it.  LR has many controls in many different locations.

I also had to change the capture time on my D800 as it was 1hr off.  My fault.  Now I sorted by camera and am manually changing the capture time of the affected photos.

Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jim.  I have it figured out now.  WobertC sent me a screen shot. 

Thank you again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I photographed an event using three cameras. How can I sort the images so that they are in order of capture? None of the options seem to work. I need them to be sorted by EXIF information so that theyare in the correct order. This is not possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorting by capture time normally works for me (I use 2 cameras to shoot). Then I rename them.

MacOS 13.2.1 Ventura>System: MacMini 2018, 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7<br />macOS 13.2.1 Ventura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to change the 'Capture Time' for all the photos from one camera to match another.

First find two photos, one from each camera, that were taken at the same moment in time,

Next, calculate the time 'difference' between the two photos in their metadata. (it could be seconds, minutes, or even 'years' if one camera is totally 'out')

Next,  select all the photos from the camera with the 'wrong' capture time (do a filter search)

Menu: Metadata > Edit Capture Time...

You [Adjust to a specified Date and Time]

and correct the time for these files by adding or subtracting the difference in the [Corrected Time] field.

With multiple photos selected- the 'time' change is "relative" for each photo, ie, each photo is 'corrected' by the same 'difference'. They are NOT all set to the exact same time/date.

http://www.lightroomfanatic.com/tutorials/beginner/change-images-capture-time-lightroom/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I just figured out a fix.  As it turns out LR does export the file info for the original date and time.  In Windows explorer sort all files in order of date/time.  That will give you an order of time taken.  If it's sorted in the wrong direction just click the button again.  Then select all photos, right click on the 1st photo and rename it whatever you want then click enter.  The consecutive files will be renamed the same with the addition of a number starting from 1 then 2...3 and so on.  Problem solved.

There is however no option in LR to sort photos in the catalog by anything but filename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh BTW sorting is only visible while in Grid view.  It isn't there in Loupe view.  Thats why I couldn't fine it.  It should be visible in Loupe view also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be visible in Loupe view also.

Why?

You cannot sort ONE image!!!

But OK, for the Filmstrip to be sorted you need to first sort in Grid view. A quick press of G then E  toggles from Grid to LoupE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Film strip sorts even when in Loupe view. I just checked and images move around in the strip with one image selected and shown in the Loupe view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes JSM you are right, I am wrong. Ignore my post#11

The sort options are still visible in Loupe view on the Tool bar.

And there is also the possibility that the 'Sorting' option is not visible on the Tools bar because of the options in the Tool Bar Menu-

ScreenShot153.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure in amongst all the posts on this subject if this has already been addressed so forgive me if I missed something.  Within LR6 I am trying to just sort on Capture Time (easy enough) and not have the influence of Camera Type overriding this.  So far not having much luck.

Regards S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain a little more what you mean by  "influence of Camera Type"?

Do you perhaps have a Filter also active?    [Ctrl+L] to enable/disable filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WobertC thanks for your reply - Maybe that the problem as I have already assigned a series of 'star ratings' to my images in this folder.  Would this explain why 'capture date' is being ignored?

So in my selection I have all my D750 (24-70mm) images displaying at the beginning of the folder and my D810 (70-200mm) with the same exposure date at the end.  Its big folder 5000+ images and I have selected 1300 for 4 & 5 star rating and I am trying to reduce this to 400 images at 5 stars.  Having these star rated images split like this makes it challenging to make the final selection when they are not presented contiguously.  Any solutions to this dilemma?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, "Capture Time" sort would not be affected by filters.

I can only suggest that the cameras were not set to the same time&date. Check the metadata of some images from both cameras for that. If cameras were set different, you can use Lightroom to correct the sort by changing their Capture Time. (Metadata>Edit Capture Time)

If I understand you are trying to 'narrow' your selection of the "1300 4 & 5 starred" photos, that should be easy by setting attributes on the filter bar to narrow the selection.

ScreenShot093.jpg

ScreenShot096.jpg

With my catalog "All Photographs" will sort correctly by 'Capture Time' irrespective of any camera or attributes.

ScreenShot095.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking your suggestion I have checked the Metadata of two example images exposed on the same day and date (6 Aug 2014) the first occurs at #521 in Loupe View and the second image the same date (different camera & lens) appearing at #1284 in Loupe View.  I checked the two filter settings (a. sort by 'capture date) and (b. sort by 'star rating' > than and equal to 4*).

I did however note the file type varied between the two camera.  The first was a *.DNG and the second a RAW image as *.NEF.  Would this account for the difference?  If so can it be resolved (ie. post exposure) to meet my objective?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

two example images exposed on the same day and date

And- Did you compare the TIME of the images? because this will also affect the "Capture Time" sort.

I checked the two filter settings (a. sort by 'capture date) and (b. sort by 'star rating' > than and equal to 4*).

I am not certain you understand the difference between 'Sort' and 'Filter'.

The Filter for Attributes- only shows you the images for the attribute/s you toggle on. eg. Toggle on the 'Flagged' attribute and you will see only Flagged photos in the grid.

The Sort options (below the Grid preview window) will set the Sort method for the photos you see in the Grid View.

So in the example: Filter by Star Rating, and Sort by Capture Time:  This will not separate the photos by Camera type (OR File type)  IF both cameras were set to the same 'Time of day'.

So, again, check two photos from each camera that you KNOW (by comparing subject matter) were taken at the same Time of day (Hour/minutes) then tell me if the cameras were set to the same Time of Day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so just confirming the settings of (a. sort by 'capture date) and (b. filter by 'star rating' > than and equal to 4*).

Capture date and time: #521 as 6 Aug 2014 - 5:07:11pm and the second  image (position #1284) 6 Aug 2014 - 5:05:30pm.  I should add that between these two images there are range of capture dates (and times) that are all nicely chronologically ordered, but the sequencing seems to be only divided by camera type....

Are there some critical sceenshots that I can display to show this to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sceenshots that I can display

In the Grid view, press J to toggle on the info on the thumbnail borders,

Press [Ctrl+J] for the Library View Options, and set one of the "Expanded Cell Extras" to shoe Capture Date/Time

Capture2.PNG   Capture.PNG

Now you can view that data on each thumbnail.

So if you are "Sorting" by Capture Time, and the subject matter in the photos does not "Look" to be in sequence (IGNORING the recorded metadata Time/Date)  then- Your cameras must have been set to a different Time-of-day!

If the cameras were not "in sync" for Date/Time then the Photos will not be "in sync", hence the apparent sort by camera.

So show a screen clip of the Grid view window with the Date/Time metadata showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WobertC, my sincere apologies to you for the efforts you have made in trying to help me.  I have located the problem and it is as you have suggested, date related after all!  While the day and time were set correctly the year was exactly one year out, 2014 vs 2015.  I am not sure how I missed this as I checked several times.  Thanks again for you help and patience in this matter, a bit of a lesson learnt here for me.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines