• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Similar Projects Same Settings Very Different Results

Engaged ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I convert recorded lectures for online viewing. I always use the same settings (with some experimentation mentioned in parentheses below) but the file sizes of the exported videos are wildly different. My settings, most of the time are:

• Windows Media
  • NTSC DV
  • 1920 x 1080 (same as source -- reducing this seems to increase the export time and file size)
  • Bitrate Encoding: VBR, 1 pass (going from 2 pass to 1 pass solved a problem I was having a couple years ago)
  • VBR Quality: 100 (lowering doesn't make a significant difference in file size but definitely lowers the quality too much but sometimes I'll try something different out of desperation)

The duration changes but it doesn't correlate to the difference in file size. For example, the follow videos use the above settings:

• 27 minutes = 340 MB
  • 23 minutes = 1.26 GB
  • 17 minutes = 1.22 GB

The longest videos I ever do are approximately one hour. Sometimes videos of 45-55 minutes are well below 1 GB, sometimes well above up to several GB.

I arrived this morning to find a 33 minute video export with a file size of just below 10 GB. That broke a record.

If anyone can offer any insight I'd be grateful. Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File size is determined by bitrate x duration.

If you change the bitrate so will the file size. Does not make any difference if you do 1 pass or 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I find the bitrate of the original footage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also want to add that sometimes I'll get similar recordings from someone else and my conversion to WMV triples or quadruples the file size -- again, experimentation gives me no clues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines