• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Performance degradation on import and export

Participant ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the past year I have noticed that  performance has dropped tremendously when importing or exporting photos into lightroom. I used to be able to continue editing and working with no significant performance issue. Now, since the latest updates over the past year, If I even try to scroll through uploading images the screen freezes.  The import process seems to consume vast resources and yet take 4x as long to import the same number of images.  4000 images used to take about 45 minutes, my last major shoot took 5 hours to import that number of image....all the while I could not even being categorizing and sorting images until the upload had finally completed.

I notice the same behavior when exporting to a network location. Performance is sluggish and slowed to a crawl. Any attempt to do anything else cause the program to freeze and hang.

Note  have and dual iCore7 processors and 12GB RAM, Memory usage is only gong up to about 4GB so there is plenty to spare. Performance is so bad that I am afraid adobe will not like my next customer satisfaction survey as I would no longer recommend this product to a friend and my satisfaction is down to a 2 out of 10.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that hard drive / drives have sufficient free disk space for storage and swapping data. A good bench mark is a minimum of 25% as you will see a drop in performance as the available free space reduces. e.g. With a 1TB HDD you should have at least 250 GB available.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when going to an empty drive the problem persists, and still cause problems with concurrently working while imports or exports are in progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so with a 5tb drive performance starts turning to crap with more than a tb free space? I can see if getting down to the last 250mb performance problems but not based on a percentage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have your photos gotten larger (because of a new camera)?

Are there other programs running in the background?

Is your antivirus interfering? (Try temporarily disconnecting from the internet and turning the antivirus off)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image size has remained constant for a couple of years now. Not sure about the anti virus but I have been using the same one for several years and keeping it up to date. One thing I have not tried though is to move them off the sdhc or xqd card via windows transfer and then import at their location. I suspect this may end being faster though it is certainly much more of a hassle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure about the anti virus but I have been using the same one for several years and keeping it up to date

You should still try the experiment of turning it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines