• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2018 : I can't reset brush preset.

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and sorry for my english

I put on my pc photoshop 2018.

I wanto to format and reset all the old brush that i have in the 2017 version.

I had tried to do a "restore default brushes" but photoshop keeps all the older brushs and it put only new folders in the menù.

How can reset and format all the brushes? Like a clean setup

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you reset the brushes,

select OK. Do not select Append.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the answer.

In cc2018 i don't see Reset Brushes but only Restore default Brushes and after i clicked on it, I don't have Append button but only Ok and Cancel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually wait a week before updating to new versions because of the inevitable new bugs that are introduced. Anyway, I just updated to Photoshop CC 2018 to see if I could resolve the brushes issue, and I see what you mean.

The brush sets are now in folders. If you scroll down to the bottom of the Brushes panel, you'll see the folders. You can then right click on a folder to delete it.

It's great having folders, but hopefully Adobe will refine this feature in the future so that we can quickly reset to only default brushes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barbara and sorry for the "upgrade"

For the folders yes, no problem. I deleted one by one each of ones.

I did the sames for the brushes , one by one 😞

It's a little bit stranges this thing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like resetting the preferences file would work to reset all the defaults without having to do one by one. Preferences in Photoshop

But that is not as convenient as the Reset Brushes command that used to be there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did that too

but still nothing 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn! I hope that someone on the staff at Adobe will chime in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only is it not restoring the default brushes.... it's added another set of default brushes every time I've clicked on Restore Default Brushes. Now I have multiple copies of the default brushes...   Hope that's a fix real soon Adobe Team!! Otherwise I'm happy that brushes can now be grouped and especially loving those Kyle art brushes!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I noticed that too, that the program is adding another set of default brushes every time Restore Default Brushes is clicked on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you upgrade to the newer version, if you click the arrow next to the Update button, you can choose to remove previous settings and preferences at the time of the upgrade. The check mark is on by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, if you want to load the old brushes; select "legacy brushes" in the flyout menu of the panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that did it for me.  thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 months old now, I came back here to unfortunately post a response. I am disappointed Adobe still has not fixed the "Restore Default Brushes" as of JAN 27, 2018, nor have they included the option to allow for the brush menu to fly out with the presets for easier navigation. I am having the same issue, as well, and the issue gets so annoying. I truly miss the old fly out brush system. I have to scroll at a snail's pace through my brushes to search. This is slowing my post process down. Affinity is looking pretty good in 2018 for me, because it has about 98% of the features of photoshop and many of the Plug Ins out there are compatible with it, too. Lots of little nuances are causing me to look for an alternative. Since I do mostly retouching in portraiture for models and actors, I think maybe the time is coming to leave photoshop. Check out Affinity, everyone, it looks really good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered the same issue. Adobe no longer has the "Reset Brushes..." button. Instead, there is a "Restore Default Brushes" button now. Hopefully, Adobe will bring back the "Reset" button, but until then, I discovered a hack you can use to trick the system. For Macs, (I'm not sure about Windows computers) in the creative cloud panel at the top of your screen, there is an option for you to reinstall an older version of Photoshop. Do this, and when you're done, reupdate your Photoshop application to the newest version. Doing this will remove the folders, reset your brushes, etc. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You gotta be kidding me! I'm going to go back to an earlier version of photoshop and then download the latest to reset by brushes?

NO! I will not. That takes a lot of time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a wild guess, deleting the brush panel's preference file, but there is no such thing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if this answers it, but I was looking for a fresh restart for all my brushes (as they were honestly getting out of control).

I'm on a mac, using PS CC 2018. I opened up the brush menu, clicked the first brush (to select it WITHOUT closing the window) and then pressed shift and selected the rest of the brushes. Literally from the top to the bottom. I right clicked and deleted all of them.

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 1.35.25 AM.png

I clicked 'Delete Brushes' there and it literally got rid of all of them. From that point, I just 'restored default brushes' as recommended above and what you see there is the defaults I got. I'm not sure if this truly IS a solution, as i'm seeing all these 'kyle' brushes.... don't know where they came from, but they're lingering. Never the less, might help you a bit?

Hope you come back to this to see!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kyle's brushes are a collection of excellent custom brushes created by Kyle webster, for illustrators, digital painters, etc.

If you want the brushes from the older versions, go to the flyout menu of the panel, and select legacy brushes. The latest version also came with brush smoothing options and other improvements that you should take time to study in order to understand their logic, and bring them in your workflow...

https://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/restore-legacy-brushes-photoshop-cc-2018/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" . . . go to the flyout menu of the panel, and select legacy brushes"

And then after 3 or 4 more steps I can start restoring brushes one-by-one (from memory) in a panel nothing like the old one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tomhock, does this thread help you?

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2472613

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PECourtejpie, not really.  Below is a screencap of the palette I want, the palette that was either the default or could be restored in one click for every version of PS before cc2018.  I don't think the solution you reference or any other I've seen tells me how to restore that identical palette in one click or even many clicks.  As I understand it, I can maybe restore these brushes one by one, but the end result still won't look like the cap below.  Like the OP of the thread you reference -- -- I've been using PS for decades (since version 2, before layers).  I have trained for DECADES to use this palette.  It's easy, and I've learned to get what I want from it quickly and effortlessly.  I want it back. Period.  Maybe someday I'll be able to "take time and study" your "improved" way of doing things, but right now I've got projects to complete, and Adobe is making them harder, not easier.

default_brushes.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This SUCKS!  I want my old brush palette back.  I used to have great respect for Adobe . . . now I mostly hate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines