Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR won't open external editor; it creates a TIFF

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using LR CC Classic (Release 7.5).

When I edit a RAW file (or any type of file, for that matter) in LR and then attempt to send it to Photoshop for additional editing, instead of opening the file in PS (with the LR adjustments I've made), it creates a new tiff file. The new tiff file is added to LR right beside the RAW file I attempted to open, with the same name (other than the different extension because it is a tif). I cannot get LR to open an image in PS.

The RAW file and the tiff that LR is creating can be opened in PS, but only if I go to PS and open those files from within PS.

It does not matter if PS is running or closed when I attempt to open a file in PS from LR. The result is the same - after about 5 seconds a tiff appears in LR without it ever opening in PS.

PS and LR were updated yesterday. All apps are up to date.

My preferences in LR look like this:

Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 8.25.48 AM.png

I've been using LR since its inception and have never run into this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Hi there,

Sorry that Lightroom does not open Photoshop using the Edit in command, instead it creates a new tiff file next to the file you're working on in Lightroom.

Could you please take a look at this article Unable to open a photo in Photoshop with 'Edit In' command in Lightroom ​and let us know if that helps?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Lightroom does not open Photoshop using the Edit in command, instead it creates a new tiff file next to the file you're working on in Lightroom.

Could you please take a look at this article Unable to open a photo in Photoshop with 'Edit In' command in Lightroom ​and let us know if that helps?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solution looks promising inasmuch as the problem is occurring on a new iMac and I just migrated photos and apps to it using the migration assistant and my Time Machine disk.  However, the article says "Locate the disk(s) that you're using to back up your data with Time Machine" then "Drag the disk(s) into Trash icon in the dock."  In my case, the external disk I'm using to back up data with Time Machine is not presently connected to my computer, and there is no disk to drag to the Trash icon.

The other thing is, the photos I am attempting to open are photos I took after the migration and they were never part of my Time Machine backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I plugged in the disk used for Time Machine and opened LR. I tried to do an "Edit in Photoshop" and it worked. I ejected the Time Machine disk and LR continues to function properly.  I have no idea what happened, but everything is working again (for now!).

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems the Time Machine have a non working state of Lightroom (be it the files or the catalog itself) that is causing this issue. Thanks for the heads up, glad that you got things back to work.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines