• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sharing/Editing LR Catalog - only some settings transfer?

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I am an editor and have been working with a new client.

She is telling me that when I send the catalog and previews back to her - all of my edits are there *except* temperature and tint. Is there anything that can be causing this? The edits look great on my computer and I've tried on multiple devices of mine and everything seems fine. Is there anything she could be doing on her end to not get the temperature adjustments applied specifically?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You asked this elsewhere too, but maybe a new thread is indeed better. Did she sent back that catalog to you so you can verify her claim? I would not know any scenario where all edits remain but only WB gets reset, except for user error of course.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

She is telling me that when I send the catalog and previews back to her - all of my edits are there *except* temperature and tint. Is there anything that can be causing this?

At this point, simple investigative methods are needed. Have your new client explain the EXACT sequence of steps she is following when she receives the catalog and photos from you. Make she she explains every single step, leaving nothing out, so that you can reproduce her workflow steps. (And yes, JohanEl54​ also has a good suggestion, have her send the catalog file back to you — without her using the catalog, exactly as she received it — so you can compare it to the one you sent her).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like it could be a monitor calibration issue... if all is well except the color balance, e.g. too warm, too cool etc. and your client isn't touching any of the adjustments that would be the first thing to check.

Images that look 'great' on your monitor may look very different on theirs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmgap  wrote

This sounds like it could be a monitor calibration issue... if all is well except the color balance, e.g. too warm, too cool etc. and your client isn't touching any of the adjustments that would be the first thing to check.

Images that look 'great' on your monitor may look very different on theirs.

This is a very good question and raises an important issue which adventurlings​ needs to clarify ... is it just the appearance that is different, or are the sliders for tint and temperature in different locations with your new client than when you sent them (which would be very difficult to explain)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! So sorry for the delay on this - I was out of town and just catching up. I just re-edited her catalog and sent it back to her and she is saying that again the temperature edits aren't transferring specifically.

I have a Spyder-calibrated monitor and she actually included a few images in her catalog that were fully edited so I was actually syncing her edits for the most part - my edits should match the tones, etc of her edited ones so I don't think calibration is the issue.

I'm going to have her send over screenshots so we can problem solve.

I've worked with other clients this week with the exact same process and it's working for everyone else! I am so confused as to what is going on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adventurlings  wrote

Hello! So sorry for the delay on this - I was out of town and just catching up. I just re-edited her catalog and sent it back to her and she is saying that again the temperature edits aren't transferring specifically.

This is not clear. Is it the sliders that are in a different position, or are the tint and temperature sliders in the proper positions but the appearance of the image is different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm waiting for clarification from her and screenshots.

She said that none of the images appear to be white balanced and it looks like I didn't move the sliders from their original positions.

I'm wondering if she has a calibration issue... but that still doesn't make sense because I am syncing settings from her 'edited' ones to nearby images (same lighting, room, just a few seconds apart etc). So they should at least match her 'edited' ones on her end.

*She just wrote back that she can send screenshots tomorrow.

1. This is one of her edits on an image that she asked me to match across her gallery.

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 1.01.43 PM.png

2. This is one I edited 'syncing' the settings.

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 1.05.18 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick response from her - "I’ll check out the calibration thing later - the reason I said your edits weren’t showing up was because there were no adjustments in the Develop module after import, not because of the image appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adventurlings  wrote

A quick response from her - "I’ll check out the calibration thing later - the reason I said your edits weren’t showing up was because there were no adjustments in the Develop module after import, not because of the image appearance.

After import? Does she use 'Import from another catalog' or does she import the images (with your edits in XMP)? if she does the latter (not a good idea anyway), then maybe she has a develop preset applied during import, that resets the WB settings.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you just nailed it. Going to write her now and see if that's the issue!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I asked the photographer to send screenshots and go step by step about what she is doing. I haven't received that, but she just got back to me with this:

"This time, I saw your edits being applied. Yay!! The thumbnails changed very slowly, but it happened. I never imported the unzipped Previews or Smart Previews - I did try but since they're not folders Lr doesn't recognize them to import. Must have just imported with the new catalog? Thank you again, I'm really hoping this is straightforward from now on."

I'm still not entirely sure what she's doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was my thought on it too Johan.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why you show the two images, or what conclusion we should come to after looking at them. I do not see a color balance change, there may be a very slight exposure difference between the two images, but what do you see? What is the point you are trying to make with these two images?

She said that none of the images appear to be white balanced and it looks like I didn't move the sliders from their original positions.

This ought to be simple to resolve. If in your catalog, when you sent her the images, were the numbers of the sliders the same as when she received them? Maybe we don't need further discussion until this question is clearly resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines