• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Install trying to avoid problems

Participant ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All, I purchased a DVD of Photoshop Elements 2018.  The trial edition of PSE 18 is still on my PC.  As is PSE15.  I am wondering what happens to my old catalogs during this new install. When I am downloading the new PSE 2018 will there be a part during the installation process that states something like, "Do you have any old catalogs that you want to import?" I have read on this forum about using a tool that Adobe has to UNINSTALL my previous versions of PSE.  Is that tool available to me (a non-cloud user)? What are some of the common mistakes that get made during this type of procedure?  I want to proactively ask now. Here is what I assume would be an adequate install: 1.  Update and optimize any catalogs that I want to keep (one's that I want for my new PSE 18). 2.  Uninstall all previous versions of PSE using the Adobe tool mentioned above . 3.  Install my new PSE 2018 via the disk that I bought. 4.  During the install it will ask me if I have any catalogs that I want to import into the new PSE 18.  (I'm guessing here) 5.  I tell it yes. 6.  I navigate to that spot and do the importing of previous catalogs that I want to keep.                                             7.  Let the install finish and then all is well.  (I hope!) Thank you, Dean

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You only need to go to Help> Sign in from the Editor menu and enter your serial number.  There is no need to reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peru Bob.  I bought the DVD off of Ebay.  Brand new, still sealed and in the box.  40 bucks including shipping and handling.  I understand that it is a big risk, but I figured I deserved some 'good luck' and the seller did have 100% as their feedback score. So . . . does the new info of above . . . change your answer in anyway? So, is point 4, in my original correct? Thank you. Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So . . . you two are both saying . . . . leave PSE 15 in place? 

Shouldn't I delete it?

If it hurts nothing to delete it -- wouldn't it be advantageous to gain the additional memory space if it was gone from my PC (the 'it' being PSE 15)?  (the bold and underlined places below will explain why I am so redundant about these matter . . . thank you for your patience.)

But then again . . . if PSE18 lays an egg . . . it might be nice to still have PSE15.  I can always delete it later, if I develop some confidence in PSE18.

Have you read the reviews for PSE18 at the world's largest store?  You know, the store that begins with an "A" and ends with a "N"?  Not flattering reviews AT ALL.

So, leave PSE Trial version of 2018 in place?  (I'll just call it PSE18 now)

Open 'help' in PSE18 . . . from there go to 'Sign in' from the Editor menu of PSE18 . . . and from there . . . enter the serial number that is on the DVD that I bought from off of Ebay?

Simply do those few things and all should work out fine?!  It sounds too good to be true.  Especially in light of the reviews and such that I have been reading about PSE18.

Sorry to be so redundant.  I am physically disabled.  I take a lot of meds to try to keep my symptoms under control.  One of the side effects of this is an impaired memory and a very limited budget.  Hence my desire to get it right the first time. I have read too many 'horror stories' on these forums. Thanks a bunch. Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean,

Thousands of users don't have horror stories. They won't come here to say how happy they are. Forums are there to help with the thousands of issues or 'how to' questions where help is needed. The right thing is to always ask, as you are doing. Of course, searching the forum for similar issues (with the help of Google for instance) is recommended, but that's not frequent (unfortunately for other users trying to help).

Have a look at my answer to your question in the feedback forum:

Does anybody enjoy PSE 18?! | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel, As always, thank you for sharing your thoughts.  And, I understand your point about some not 'doing their own homework.'  I almost always do my homework so that when I come to the forums, I can ask some questions that are at least half-way knowledgeable. Pardon my hyperbole regarding the 'horror stories'.  That was not cool.  I apologize to all on the forum and I thank Michel for bringing it up, so I can repent of it. When I go to the link you provided - all I see is a my initial post, Michael's reply and then finally, my reply to Michael.  For some reason I can not see what you wrote there.  If it is not a problem, could you please post it again or mail it me? Thank you very much! Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is what I wrote in that forum post:

When I am downloading the new PSE 2018 will there be a part during the installation process that states something like, "Do you have any old catalogs that you want to import?"

Not exactly. Remember you may have (like me...) many catalogs from any versions and even test or temporary catalogs. I have perhaps 20 of them because I keep catalogs from previous versions for support purposes. I also have temporary catalogs, test catalogs on 'default location' on my User library or in 'custom location' on external drives. For my own needs, I take care to use only the latest single catalog of the last version. The message you are quoting is only about the current catalog which opens when you open the organizer.

I have read on this forum about using a tool that Adobe has to UNINSTALL my previous versions of PSE.  Is that tool available to me (a non-cloud user)?

No, it's only in rare cases where you have conflicts with updating software that you have to use CCleaner tool, which works with Elements like with Photoshop CC. I would recommend keeping older versions and old catalogs until you are sure you no longer need them.

Here is what I assume would be an adequate install:

1.  Update and optimize any catalogs that I want to keep (one's that I want for my new PSE 18). 

2.  Uninstall all previous versions of PSE using the Adobe tool mentioned above .

3.  Install my new PSE 2018 via the disk that I bought.

4.  During the install it will ask me if I have any catalogs that I want to import into the new PSE 18.  (I'm guessing here)

5.  I tell it yes.

6.  I navigate to that spot and do the importing of previous catalogs that I want to keep.

Depending on each user,  the need to keep many catalogs for different versions on different media is so different that the program can't think for you. Even if you have good reasons to keep catalogs like me, only the current one is meaningful for everybody. It's up to you to know where your catalog folders are kept, especially when in 'custom' location on external drives.

So, what you have to do when installing PSE2108: 

1. Don't uninstall previous versions, you'll do it later when you no longer need them and you are happy with 2018.

2. Be sure that your current catalog is the meaningful one (not any old or exotic custom location one)

3. Accept the conversion. That means your old catalog is read and a new catalog is created with the same name in the new version format. The old catalog is just renamed with a -1 suffix and works seamlessly with your old PSE version.

4. If you miss the conversion option, you can do it later whenever you want, even several times if necessary. If you need to convert other catalogs, no hurry. The catalog managers has the button 'convert' to help you find other catalogs, even already converted ones.

You are the boss. You have to decide what you have to do. Imagine an organizer which would search all my catalogs (without finding the ones on external drives), that would search for missing files, repair and optimize everything... I could wait for a whole week for a useless job. 

Consider using only a single catalog, unless they have totally different contents  (pro or personal for instance). Only keep older catalogs if you think they will be useful for safety reasons. For instance if you have a second computer which is 32 bits, it makes sense to keep the corresponding PSE version and its catalog on your new computer as a kind of backup.                                  

(Edited)

Please ask if that is not what you wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines