• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat error with PDFs open from network drive

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When opening a PDF from the network, if Acrobat has remained idle for a while (30 min to an hour) the pages of the PDF will turn blank, usually accompanied by errors.

Errors include:

There was an error while reading a stream.

There was an error processing a page.  There was a problem reading this document (109).

An error exists on this page.  Acrobat may not display the page correctly.  Please contact the person who created the PDF document to correct the problem.

This issue appears to be documented but there is no solution posted publicly.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2413401

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2230380

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1771945

It seems the issue first occurred after updating the computers to Windows 10 (from 7).  One user was experiencing the issue with Acrobat XI and still is after upgrading to Acrobat DC.

We have change GPO network drive mapping from Replace to Update but the issue still occurs.

Tested disabling Enhanced Security and Protected view with no results.

Acrobat support told me to save the PDF to a local drive and open from there and has offered nothing else as a solution.  This does not work for us since most PDFs are opened from a document management system.  The issue occurs outside that system (opening directly from explorer) but not as often.  Servers are running Windows Server 2012 and R2 Standard.

Had anyone seen this or know of a solution?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

After quite a bit of troubleshooting I figured out what the issue was in my specific case. I had read in some cases that group policy processing can cause this behavior for mapping drives using REPLACE. Changing it to UPDATE made the issues go away.

I checked my policy and it was indeed set to UPDATE - However, I did have an "A HA" moment. I forgot that I had a DELETE command inside that policy I had put in a few days prior as I as doing a file server migration. Since I no longer needed to delete

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ericv,

As per the issue description mentioned above, you are facing issue when opening pdfs from a network drive, is that correct?

Could you try adding the network location, from where you are opening the files, to trusted location in Acrobat and check if that helps. 

Launch Acrobat > click Edit > Preferences > Security ( Enhanced ) Privileged locations.

Refer to this help document for more info: Enhanced security setting for PDFs, Adobe Acrobat

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shivam,

Thank you for the suggestion.  Adding the network drives to the Privileged locations list did not appear to help.  Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing the exact same thing after migrating from Server 2012R2 STD to Server 2016 STD. Happens intermittently.

Did you ever find an answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately we have not found a solution yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After quite a bit of troubleshooting I figured out what the issue was in my specific case. I had read in some cases that group policy processing can cause this behavior for mapping drives using REPLACE. Changing it to UPDATE made the issues go away.

I checked my policy and it was indeed set to UPDATE - However, I did have an "A HA" moment. I forgot that I had a DELETE command inside that policy I had put in a few days prior as I as doing a file server migration. Since I no longer needed to delete the old mapped drive I got rid of it. Low and behold that fixed my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your solution prompted me to check all Group Policy settings again and lo and behold, there was a delete policy set.  I assume this will fix the issue and will report back if not the case.  Thank you for following up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines