Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DJI Phantom 4 Pro Codec Issues

New Here ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day all,

The DJI Phantom 4 Pro records in either .MOV or .MP4 with the MPEG-4 CODEC.

Adobe Premiere Pro does not read these files.

1. I am looking for a transcoder that is capable of exporting my 4k 60fps videos in full res and quality.

2. When is Adobe releasing an update allowing these DJI Drone Codecs allowing to simply drag the footage into the software?

Thanks,

Would really appreciate some help or guidance regarding this matter.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to import dji footage into Premiere.

Make sure you are on the lastest version: 12.1.1

Also copy entire card to hdd first then ingest (not dragging) via Media Browser.

HandBrake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for your response.

I have 12.1.1 Installed. I am using the DJI Phantom 4 PRO which records MPEG-4 Codec which Premiere Pro does not recognize as a media file and therefore cannot be imported through media browser or dragged into Project window.

As for HandBrake I am yet to find a setting that allows for 4k 60fps export. It's no use to me if I cannot export a full 4K 60 fps video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

you shouldn't have any issues importing DJI files into Premiere Pro. I've been doing that since Premiere Pro CC2014 without any issues.

What version are you using?

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,http://

Thanks for your response Seb. What DJI product are you using? Could you send me a screenshot or info of the media files codec that you get from your drone please.

I have 12.1.1 Installed. I am using the DJI Phantom 4 PRO which records MPEG-4 Codec which Premiere Pro does not recognize as a media file and therefore cannot be imported through media browser or dragged into Project window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You on a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Windows 10, PC.

I see you marked the previous responses as helpful but in reality, specifically my issue... they are not helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

Try Steps 2C and 2I below.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on AE 2018 on Mac.

I had no problems importing the DJI format in, but I did had some significant effect on the speed of the software. (which I don't have with other projects on the same station). seems that the adobe softwares don't like so much this codec. causing the saving and workflow very hard.

I guess a conversion is the only option nowadays. (until further notice)

I.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Same issue for me on Premiere Pro latest version (12.1.2) in windows 10. We are trying to edit footages from Phantom 4 (.mov files / Mpeg 4 codec), and it’s impossible to import those files into Premiere.

We have both PC and Mac in our office, the files can be imported in Premiere Pro on a mac but not on the PC workstation.

We have many many videos to cut this year and i believe transcoding all our footage is not a viable option (its time consuming).

Any update on this issue ?

Thanks !

Rafael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on Premiere Pro latest version (12.1.2) in Windows 10. Changing the .mov file extension to .mp4 as suggested in another thread doesn't help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Phantom 4 Pro v2 and I edit my footage in CS6 with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone still running into issues with DJI Phantom 4 files in the latest Premiere Pro 13.0.2? If so, would it be possible to supply us with problematic files? This will greatly help with our investigation.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As this issue was really painful for our workflow we bought a new machine and we do not have this problem anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is interesting. Thank you for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to confirm that I own a few computers, and phantom 4 files seem to read and be usable in my newer laptop running on windows 10, but they are useless on my older desktop that was originally Windows 8.1 but updated to Windows 10. 

The issue with this is that my desktop actually has the power to edit with graphics card and 30G ram.. I wish there was a solution from Adobe or DJI to fix the issue with the files not being read for older computers!  Sorry for the few who must upgrade computers to use there drone footage!

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that was an "upgrade" to Win10 rather than a full clean install, that could be part of the issue.

Clean installs of OS major versions tend to work better.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problem importing with the latest version. This is good news, thank you! Have you figured out the cause of the bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have huge issues with Phantom 4 Pro material. No problem to import the files, but most of the time it's not possible to play the files. When I start the preview, the playback runs in a very low resolution; when I stop and restart or when I move the cursor and try to start the playback again it doesn't play or it just displays some stills.

When I try to watch from the timeline, it doesn't really play - you can see the time running, but not the film. Just when I render in/out the playback runs. No way to work. It's really terrible, because I can't finish my work. Please help.

I work with iMac Retina 5K, 27', 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 GB and with Premiere Pro Version 13.1.0 (Build 193)

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have huge issues with Phantom 4 Pro material. No problem to import the files, but most of the time it's not possible to play the files. When I start the preview, the playback runs in a very low resolution; when I stop and restart or when I move the cursor and try to start the playback again it doesn't play or it just displays some stills.

When I try to watch from the timeline, it doesn't really play - you can see the time running, but not the film. Just when I render in/out the playback runs. No way to work. It's really terrible, because I can't finish my work. Please help.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with iMac Retina 5K, 27', 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 GB and with Premiere Pro Version 13.1.0 (Build 193)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D_Corleone

Sounds like something is up with your system. You're very short on RAM. Furthermore, are you playing this file off a Thunderbolt drive or your internal drive? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin

the files are on an internal SSD drive. I just made a RAM upgrade. No I have 32GB. There are still issues playback the files from the timeline etc. It works better, but I almost not possible to work, and it's no fun to work like this. By the way, I don't have problems with my RED material, also in higher resolutions. Any other idea?

Thanks, Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know a lot of colorists with monster rigs, who also have no issues with RED media, and HATE working with H.264 especially GoPro & drone media. Often, they simply transcode it all to Cineform or ProRes for grading.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, welcome to April 2019 and still issues importing DJI 4 pro video into a Premiere Timeline. Ridiculous. Have to open the video in Media Encoder, change file format then open in the Premiere timeline to edit.

Lame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines