Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC not exporting a folder as a catalogue

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I need to copy a set of folders from one catalogue to another, but what complicates it is that I have to copy the virtual copies as well, which I believe mean that I have to export the folder as a catalogue and then import it.

The problem that I'm having is that it is not exporting and I'm not receiving an error, it's jus not doing anything. I just get the progress bar on the top left of the window and it doesn't change. I've killed it about 5 times and restarted it and it keeps doing the same thing. It gets to a certain point and then stops, but it seems to stop on a different photo each time, so it's clearly not a single file that's causing a problem.

The set of folders I'm exporting has around 8,500 photos.

Thanks,

Nigel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

"Syncing" has nothing to do with finding missing files.

First check your Folders panel to see if any folders are missing. If yes, you need to fix this first using the "find missing folder" process.

After all the missing folders are located, if any image files are still missing, you need to do the "find missing files" process.

See this link for details:

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a substantial amount of images to export as one catalog and your operating system may be choking for lack of memory and capacity. Just my thoughts.

Do you have the option to include the images in the Catalog.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nigel,

We're sorry hear about the folder not exporting as a catalog, could you please let us know which exact version of Lightroom you're working on and which operating system are you using?

Also, where are you exporting the catalog on an internal drive or and external drive?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the details of the computer and version of Lightroom. I'm exporting the catalogue onto an external SSD (Samsung T3).

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 17.06.03.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 17.06.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional information, could you please try exporting it to the internal drive and let us know if it works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so exporting to the MacBook Pro's ssd meant that the export completed with the following message:

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 20.46.03.png

How do I get around that message? I checked the box to create missing previews when I exported the folder as a catalogue and if I try synchronising the folder, it doesn't find any missing photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The missing files indicate that the previously imported files are no longer at their previous location (full path and file name).

Any chance there is an unplugged external drive involved or a drive with a changed name?

In the Library module, check the "Folders" panel to see if any of the drives or folders are marked as missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message indicates that one photo is missing - you may have moved or deleted it in Finder. In your catalogue, find that photo and click the missing file icon so you can tell LR where the photo is now located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I knew that the error message about the missing file was because a file could have been deleted/moved in Finder, which then shows a little exclamation mark on the top right hand side of the thumbnail and photograph when you view it in Lightroom, but I assumed that synchronising the folder (in Lightroom) would highlight the missing file/help to resolve this, but clearly that function is not for this issue.

Anyway, I'm trying the suggestions and also going to try excluding previews from the export and I'll let you know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The synchronisation dialog box has a checkbox for what to do with missing files. In general, I would recommend not checking it.

The previews part of the message isn't important - focus efforts on finding that missing file or removing it from your catalogue (if you deliberately deleted it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Syncing" has nothing to do with finding missing files.

First check your Folders panel to see if any folders are missing. If yes, you need to fix this first using the "find missing folder" process.

After all the missing folders are located, if any image files are still missing, you need to do the "find missing files" process.

See this link for details:

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines