• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replacing RAWs with JPEGs (or DNGs) in library

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please feel free to heap abuse on me for not finding an answer in the forum (or Google - I did find for example Re: Convert to DNG on import? , Re: lightroom CC and DNG questions), but here is what I am struggling with:

I know storage is cheap (Adobe Cloud storage a little less so...), but after post-processing my RAWs in Lightroom CC, I want to replace my RAWs with JPEGs (or DNGs?) - while retaining my album / folder structure.

My current workflow:

- Select pictures from album / folder / date range etc.

- "Save to..." as JPEG into a temporary directory

- Erasing the RAWs in the Lightroom library (aka the scary step)

- Importing the JPEGs from the temporary directory into Lightroom CC (into the corresponding album / folder, trying not to stuff it up, see below)

- Erasing JPEGs in the temporary directory

My problem with that:

- I am lazy and error-prone and would prefer a "select pictures - right click on replace with JPEG" workflow

- I need to upload the pictures again through my painfully slow uplink instead of just having to (in the perfect world) download a server-side converted JPEG through the significantly faster download link.

- I basically need to this twice, once (FIRST!) for each album / folder (reimporting the converted JPEG into the correct folder / album), THEN select a corresponding date-based set, filter for RAWs (some are JPEGs now as they were part of an album), and now convert the remaining RAWs and import the JPEGs into the library (but not a particular album / folder) - otherwise the album / folder structure is lost and/or some pictures remain as RAWs.

- I read that "RAW to DNG on import" is not supported by LR CC (I also hadnt noticed it), which is a pity and would also solve (at least: ease) my issue moving forward.

Any suggestions other than "shut up and buy bigger harddrives and add another TB to your Adobe cloud"?

Cheers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

- I am lazy and error-prone and would prefer a "select pictures - right click on replace with JPEG" workflow

This will never happen. It is too error prone for people and will lead to image loss.

- I read that "RAW to DNG on import" is not supported by LR CC (I also hadnt noticed it), which is a pity and would also solve (at least: ease) my issue moving forward.

Lightroom CC should really support conversion to dng indeed but unfortunately it doesn't. It is likely a high feature request on feedback.p

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to work out the logistics of how to do this if it's really what you want to do. But I would never (as in NEVER) get rid of the raw images and keep JPEG's. You're throwing away the images with all the editing flexibility and keeping compressed JPEG files. I only keep the raw files, export JPEG copies when they are needed and use them for what they are needed and then delete them. But hey, that's just my opinion. And it isn't worth much.

Another thing to consider is that I'm not writing everything to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree with JimHess on only one point - his opinion IS worth quite a bit!! I tend to read most of the same questions and he generally beats me to the correct answers!

I too would never delete my raw images. Just export JPEg copies as needed.

You can store all your Raw images (DNG, CR2, NEF or whatever format) on external drives for possible future use. I have found that DNGs take up the least space.

Your workflow seems more laborious than it needs to be and your time is worth something too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will never happen. It is too error prone for people and will lead to image loss.

Lightroom CC should really support conversion to dng indeed but unfortunately it doesn't. It is likely a high feature request on feedback.photoshop.com

P.S. looking at what you are doing you might be far better off using a Lightroom Classic workflow or a hybrid Classic and CC workflow. Classic only syncs smart preview dngs to the cloud and you can keep the local copies on external hard disks that are offline until you really need the raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all.

That unfortunately all sounds rather intelligent.

Jao vdL​, yeah, I ought to have a hybrid Classic / CC workflow (am also missing some of the Classic functionality on CC). I will look into that. And yes, the right-click option does sound rather dangerous on further reflection.

And as JimHess​  / kentdesign rightfully pointed out, my real problem at the end of the day is the cloud-based storage; the hybrid CC/Classic combo would also solve that (IMHO I cannot "unsync" part of my CC catalog). Problem is, I have already become a total sucker for having everything in the cloud, but in most cases the "smart previews" of the hybrid solution would be plenty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom, Photoshop, CC, are all designed such that the user can set up his or her personal workflow. The best is to read and listen to all the suggestions by ACP's, Adobe certified experts, Adobe videos on this website, and devise your own plan (sketch it out on paper if that works) for what YOU image and how YOU like to edit and store images.

And remember, software (and computers and cameras) change too, and what worked a number of years ago, may no longer be the best solution tomorrow.

By the formatting of your responses and that you sought help on this forum, you will find YOUR solution, one that works for you!

Keep asking questions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines