• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP!! - How to update and KEEP the Old Version of Premiere Pro (2018 and beyond)

Enthusiast ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Seems most threads about this are old and the process used to be you'd click "Advanced Options" in the CC app and un-check "Remove Old Version" before updating if you wanted to keep the old version of Premiere.

So how is this done now? I have various projects on 12.0.1 which is currently installed on my PC and also have a new project saved under 12.1.2 which can't be opened without downloading the newest version of Premiere.

But I don't see that "advanced options" any more. Please help!

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

You can't have multiple dot versions installed.  You'll have to choose only one version of 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't have multiple dot versions installed.  You'll have to choose only one version of 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim_Simon  wrote

Thanks for the reply Jim. Quick followup...was this always the case?

In the past could you have more than one version of the same year's release (eg 11.0 and 11.1?) And secondly, can you still have 2 versions of different years (eg. 12.0.1 and 11.x?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has always been the case. You can have two or more MAJOR versions of Premiere installed - but never two point releases of the same year's version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RjL190365  wrote

It has always been the case. You can have two or more MAJOR versions of Premiere installed - but never two point releases of the same year's version.

Ah...guess I never needed this before. Thanks for your replies. Any way to tell what version a project was edited on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DMH79  wrote

Any way to tell what version a project was edited on?

This is an old thread, but it may help:

How do I know which version of Adobe Premiere is a project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Peru+Bob  wrote

DMH79   wrote

Any way to tell what version a project was edited on?

This is an old thread, but it may help:

How do I know which version of Adobe Premiere is a project? 

Saw that before but opening a project in notepad opens a big bunch of gibberish, no real words. Oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You skipped this step: " right-click on the copied project file, select the "7-zip, extract to ... " option,"

PR project files are g-zipped.

Also note that you cannot tell which of 2 or more minor versions created a project file using this method. For example, 12.1.0, 12.1.1, and 12.1.2 are version 35. 12.0.0 and 12.0.1 are version 34.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Stan+Jones  wrote

You skipped this step: " right-click on the copied project file, select the "7-zip, extract to ... " option,"

PR project files are g-zipped.

Also note that you cannot tell which of 2 or more minor versions created a project file using this method. For example, 12.1.0, 12.1.1, and 12.1.2 are version 35. 12.0.0 and 12.0.1 are version 34.

Ah, thanks Stan. Turns out the new project was edited on the latest 12.1.2 and leaving 12.0.1 I lost the use of my Miraizon Prores Codec (I'm on a PC). Thought that might happen. Bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines