• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom edit in photoshop missing

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, maybe someone has more intel on this.

I am on a mac and have tried the deletion of the plist file, doesn't seem to help.

Is my only 'possible' solution to actually uninstall the programs and reinstall them???

any help rewarded with karma

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are right clicking on a file and the Edit In > Photoshop feature isn't there it sounds like you need to use the Creative Cloud app manager to uninstall it and then eventually reinstall it. Then reimport your catalog. I'm assuming this is after you have already tried the usual restart your machine, etc.

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 8.15.31 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not done a reboot, since I figured there is a slim chance of it fixing the issue. Since you reminded me of it, I have tried that before moving to more nuclear options. All in all it did nothing.

Uninstalling and installing is the next thing. So, uninstalled Lightroom, reinstalled Lightroom. Problem persisting. Uninstalled Photoshop, installed Photoshop and no solution. I kept the preference files, since I do not want to set up my whole work space from the ground up.

This is frustrating...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstall Photoshop first, then Lightroom. That usually fixes this issue. The order is important.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Then reimport your catalog. I'm assuming this is after you have already tried the usual restart your machine, etc."

Did you actually mean "reimport the catalog"? Is there some reason that just opening that catalog wouldn't work just fine?

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I remove preferences?

I have now uninstalled Photoshop and its preferences again... to no avail. I will uninstall both, keep preferences and reinstall in that order.

Let's see...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JernejCG  wrote

Should I remove preferences?

Not necessary. Usually just install Photoshop first, then LR. Then LR should 'recognize' Photoshop as an Edit In option automatically.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this didn't do anything

Still greyed out, still not working as it should...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen capture of what you're seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are working with smart previews, Edit in Photoshop will be greyed out.

You can only edit the original in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Per+Berntsen  wrote

If you are working with smart previews, Edit in Photoshop will be greyed out.

You can only edit the original in Photoshop.

IF the originals are off line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. Forgot to mention that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's basically the same thing. Sometimes pressing Option while booting up LR allows you to choose the catalog again and reset the fork. Are you on the source file thumbnail or referencing a virtual copy, or anything like that? I am curious to what is causing it.

It looks like this older thread on the forums references people having this issue in the past and tell how they solved it.

LR5 - Edit In Photoshop is greyed out [was: Lightroom 5]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 11.40.34.png

I have suspected there might be some issues, since I have some of the images on a NAS and let's say that wouldn't work. I guess I can survive with that, but the issue persists with local images. I am completely at loss now.

I have alt opened LR and selected the catalog, that didn't helped either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice you do not have an answer yet!

Can you open photos in Photoshop/ACR directly from Mac Finder?

In LR- Select an image, then [Show in Finder]  (as in your screen-clip above) then double-click (or Mac alternative) the file to "Open in Photoshop".

If Photoshop opens the image- What version of Photoshop is running?

'Edit In Photoshop' command missing

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no issue opening a file in photoshop from finder. Just to be thorough I have opened LR, selected an image, selected show in Finder and double clicked in Finder. No issue opening it at all. I keep all Adobe software up to date. PS is on 19.1.6, no further update available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very strange indeed.

I think the only next possible step is an uninstall with the Creative Cloud App manager and then a reinstall. I know that is always the last thing we want to do, but hopefully that solves the problem.

Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it might be so. But I will try to contact Adobe over phone to see if there is some easier solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this was to be my problem, my next steps would be to do a completely 'fresh' start-

Backup up catalogs and preference files,

Run the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool and let it remove ALL Adobe products, software and Adobe associated system files.

Then re-install the Creative Cloud Desktop App and use it to re-install -Photoshop first, then Lightroom.

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

I have had to use this in the past and it solved my problems.

Another thought- Have you tried resetting the Photoshop Preferences?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can be someone so kind and remind where do I find the preferences files again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see the link below

Preference file and other file locations | Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom 6

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... I am now getting into the twilight zone of frustration. Uninstalled everything, used the adobe cleaner. Reinstalled in the order photoshop then lightroom.

Opened lightroom and to great despair found out the problem persists

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reset LR preferences?

Uninstalling will not delete preferences unless you choose "Yes, remove app preferences" in the uninstall dialog.

And I'm not sure if the cleaner tool removes them either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I have selected remove app preferences for all applications I uninstalled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are certainly having problems- I sympathisize.

I am not a 'Mac' person so can only advise what I learn from others. Sorry the "Fresh start" did not solve.

It seems to me (from the info at 'Edit In Photoshop' command missing  ) that you need to start Photoshop once to build a plist (quote below).

Do any Mac users know if you can 'edit' the plist file to check its contents re: Photoshop file location?

Also you must have your photos available to Lightroom and not shown as 'missing' in the Library.

This is an "Install" problem, so Adobe should be contacted for support help.

On Mac OS, Photoshop Lightroom checks for the com.adobe.Photoshop.plist or com.adobe.Photoshop.Elements.plist files in the user's preferences folder. These files provide the file path to the applications, as well as other OS-related information about the applications. The plist files on Mac OS are created when you start applications for the first time. The files are also created any time the application is started and the files are not present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines