• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR keeps deleting my 1:1 previews

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Once I import new photos to a catalogue, I click to create 1:1 preview of all my images. That is done correctly and works fine for a moment. LR runs fast.

I start editing my photos and some time later, LR deletes all my previews and my LR runs super slow again. I click to create 1:1 previews again and that is done, meaning that the previews did not exist anymore.

I already went to the menu and choose the option 'never' where it asks when LR should delete the previews.

That is taking all my time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you edit, you've negated the existing preview, so a new one needs to be generated. It's not deleting them willy nilly. They're no longer a correct preview.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To prevent this from happening you need to "manually" update the 1:1 Previews after each editing session. Select all of the files just  edited, switch to the Library module, and go menu Library> Previews> 'Build 1:1 Previews' for all selected files. Lacking this the 1:1 Previews will be updated the next time the image file is viewed at 1:1 Zoom View, which is what you are trying to avoid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Todd. What do call an editing session? I was editing for, like, 4 hours straight. I thought once I create the previews (for the first time) they should stay there until I 'manually' delete them. I did not even switched between catalogues or quit the LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what Todd is saying is that the previews you created the for the first time  are not the 1;1 preview of the image  after you edit it, so LR has to recreate the 1:1 preview to show you your changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kent. I think I got it now. But what I mean is that LR is deleting the 1:1 preview of the images I did not edit yet. I'm editing a huge sequence of photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to be aware that Lightroom will use the preview files when you browse the images in the Library module when you are editing in the develop module Lr uses the original file to update your display with the edits you are making.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

rejanewolff  wrote

Hi Kent. I think I got it now. But what I mean is that LR is deleting the 1:1 preview of the images I did not edit yet. I'm editing a huge sequence of photos.

Are you sure you didn't edit them? Select a photo in the Develop module that you think hasn't been edited and look at the History panel. It should appear as below with no settings applied.

2018-08-30_13-06-58.jpg

Next with only that image file selected build 1:1 Previews and choose 'Build Selected' as shown below. Do you see the below message? If not what happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines