• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Seeking search engine with filter

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2009 Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know of a search engine that allows users to target the search to specific areas of webhelp? In addition to a search text field we need a drop down list that the user can use to narrow the search. As the help is rather large we'd like to give users this option. I've taken a look at some engines including Zoom, but am not sure if they have such a feature. Have emailed them but would appreciate any tips.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe ZoomSearch will do what you want so wait for David Wren to reply,

Failing a dropdown of any sort, you can always set up different configurations in ZoomSearch to target different areas, then create a topic with different buttons for the different searches or put them on your toolbar. Depends on the number.

See the ZoomSearch article on my site.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll create Zoom Categories that will appear in a "drop down list...to narrow the search." David & his people are top shelf!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time for a Haiku...

so sad searching and searching
seldom finding all that you are seeking
Index always knows the way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 20, 2009 Mar 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, there's that lonely voice from the midWest, crying in the Index wilderness!

Actually, Rick, I love your idea about giving users only an Index and calling it Search, but two things will always kill that dream:

* The Google-ization of the Web.

* You miss one stupid word where users expect it to be...and there goes your credibility.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2009 Mar 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks to all of you who responded. I've got ZoomSearch working with categories. Just what the users would need. Wrensoft were very helpful. Now I'm off get my company to buy it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp