• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error Opening RH 8 Project

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2009 Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am working in my RH project, after a few minutes, I get an error that RH 8 encountered an error and has to close. I can open a new "sample" project and work with it without errors, so it makes me think that it is something in the project itself rather than another issue. When I first started experiencing the problem, I was trying to import a word .doc file. I have deleted that file from the project, but am still getting the error. Any help would be appreciated!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 20, 2009 Mar 20, 2009
Thank you all for your suggestions. I ended up deleting all of the folders from the project, and then adding them back 1 at a time, until I identiifed the offending folder, and then finally identifying the corrupt file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2009 Mar 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open up the sample project and try and import the same word document. Does the same error happen? If so, there must be something inside the word document that is causing RH to choke. Try splitting the .doc file in half and importing it. If that works, do the same to the remaining half, etc.until you hit the problem. That should narrow it down to what is causing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Colum, I will try that. However, my primary concern right now is that the rest of the help file seems to be corrupted. Even after deleting that file from the project, I cannot work in the help file without getting the error that RH8 has encountered an error and has to close. Do you know of any way to identify what is causing that problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I am trying to do by getting you to try importing the word document into the sample (or a new) project. It is a process of elimination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I see what you're saying. I imported the file into a "test" help project, and it imported just fine. Saved/reopened the test project and it is fine. So, apparently that file didn't have anything to do with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it. So we now know the word file is not at fault. You could try deleting your project's .cpd file and seeing if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, it errors out immediately after opening the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your project located on a network drive (bad) or a local drive (good).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

local.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the project upgraded to RH8 from an earlier version and has anything changed in it apart from the additional word file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it was converted from x5, but that was awhile ago, and I worked in it a lot, up until about a month ago. The only other thing that I can think of is that I unlinked it from VSS version control. I did try re-linking to version control to see if that helped, but it didn't. I can't think of anything that has changed other than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope Colum won't mind me suggesting a slightly different way of opening the project given the first attempt has not worked as it should have done.

You could try opening the project from the HHP file rather than the XPJ. If you do, rename the CPD first.

Have you got a backup from before the import? I'm thinking that would be easier but copy the backup first.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried deleting the .cpd file and then launching the .hhp through RoboHelp, and it errors out almost right away. Doesn't even get as far as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Janet

You may find that you ultimately need to just create a new project. Then methodically import the topics from the errant project into the new. During this process you may also discover that it's actually one or more of the topics causing the headaches.

Just thinking out loud a bit here... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't imagine how long that would take me to do Rick! This project is huge, and has been around a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2009 Mar 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Janet.
It shouldn't take that long. Just create a new blank project. Then import all your topics. You can even copy over the .hhc and .hhk (and other)files as required from the old project to recreate your TOC and index.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing all your topics as Colum suggests, might take several tries (2, 3, 4?); RH seems to only want to import a certain number of topics in one swell foop (but it won't reveal what that magic number is).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you all for your suggestions. I ended up deleting all of the folders from the project, and then adding them back 1 at a time, until I identiifed the offending folder, and then finally identifying the corrupt file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp