• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can a Drag and Drop question have "Answer to continue feedback"?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to make a Drag and Drop quiz question behave like the other question slides with "You must answer the question to continue" feedback if a user has made no attempt to move the drag objects? I am really driving myself crazy with advanced actions, variables, and adding a lot of click boxes over the top of the slide to trigger the feedback closing, but without control over the submit actions I am going crazy. I have contemplated moving the submit button off the stage and making my own, but I not sure I am accomplished enough to do that. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

I created a blog in the eLearning Community. It has to be approved.

Done, here is the link: Make Drag&Drop behave like any question - eLearning

I will copy/paste to my personal blog and post the link when ready, may include my published test file

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing the Submit button is exactly what you have to do. Then you create your own to do just what you want. If you give us more details, we might be able to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to make the D&D a quiz question and behave just like the other questions with "you must answer" if nothing is done, Correct or Incorrect when answered and only one attempt. Also, I label my Correct and Incorrect on the other quiz questions as "click here to continue" so they think they are buttons and the slide doesn't auto proceed to the next question. This also seems to be an issue on the D&D interaction, so I had made my own buttons with Success and Failure to move to the next slide. I have since just started over though, based on the blog info from below. I get the correct message now, but with only one attempt, it is auto proceeding to the next slide and the user can't try to answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see my most recent reply? Do you have to transfer the score of the D&D to a LMS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry our answers are apparently crossing all the time.

I have a workaround, hesitating to post it as an answer because they have often be stolen by someone who claims then to have invented it.  A strange situation but I find it very annoying, feel abused.  No respect for copyright in some parts of the world.  I could wrtie it out in a blog, but that will take some time. I made a similar promise to someone else this morning for the same reason. Can you be patient?  I am pretty sure to have a solution, at least if you are not in a Fluid Boxes project where stacking of objects is impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any help you can give me is so appreciated, I'm not in a time crunch situation yet, so I can hold off publishing a week or so!! I can understand your frustration! I do not know what a Fluid Box project is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a blog in the eLearning Community. It has to be approved.

Done, here is the link: Make Drag&Drop behave like any question - eLearning

I will copy/paste to my personal blog and post the link when ready, may include my published test file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I checked out the blog and started working through this, but I am not getting it to work. Do I have to have the Drag and Drop widget? I am not able to purchase it and the link with free widgets no longer seems to work. Or is my slide not working because I have two drop targets and 9 drag objects and I need to change something in the advanced action?? I'm starting to be at my wits end because the scoring i.e. right vs. wrong is incorrect now, and with the regular D&D interaction at least that was right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the rregular Drag&Drop interaction included with Captivate

Only one literal has to be changed: the number of correct drag actions in the second decision 'CorrectDrag'.  It would be the only literal to become a parameter if I convert it to a shared action. Since you didn't even come back in over a week, I didn't bother to write out the second post concerning that conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working on this for a few days. Sorry for no reply. I will try this suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting closer! Changed the correct number of drag actions to greater than 4. I still have two major issues I cannot work out. If I use the Reset or Undo button I get the Incorrect feedback, I am assuming because they don't actually reset the increments so there is an assumption that the answers are incorrect. Not sure if that is possible to fix??  The other main issue seems to be the Wrong click box. If the answers are right, and I click the screen if advances to the next question. If the answers are wrong, I click on the screen, nothing is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You never told that you need Undo/Reset.  You will have to forget about Undo, and use a real Reset button like I explained in several other blog posts. You need an On Enter action to reset the variables and the custom Reset button has to re-enter the slide.

This also looks contradictory to the original question: you wanted the D&D to behave exactly like other quiz slide. A Quiz slide never has an Undo button nor a Reset button. It has a Clear button which can only be used before submitting.

You can see in the published file for which I included a link in the post the the feedback works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the confusion. Your responses have been very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created several blog posts about Drag&Drop, one of them deals with a similar question posted a while ago: how o use the Failure caption to show 'You have to drag an object' instead of the normal failure message. Here is the link:

D&D Feedback messages - Captivate blog

Do NOT remove the Submit button, drag it outsiide of the state if you want. You can check AutoSubmit instead.

A lot can be done with the Object Actions and/or the InBuilt stated of the D&D objects. I don't find it limiting at all. Of course  like in normal quiz slide, you only have the Success and Last Attempt actions (which is labeled incorrectly Failure), but those Object actions offer you a lot of power. You can look for more articles about D&D on my blog. Have also a look at the presentation about Shared Actios a  ouple of months ago, where I used Object actions as an example to show customized feedbacks using a multistate object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These articles have been helpful in showing the "You must answer..." but because I am required to have only one attempt, it is of course moving to the next question without giving the user an attempt to complete. Still the same problem with not being able to control the Submit button. I can move it off the stage, but then I don't know how to make my own button check the answers are correct. I do not need any feedback on each drag action, just Correct, Incorrect, and Answer so they look like the other test questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have only one attempt, you cannot use the default events of the Dragé&Drop but you have to use the Object actions to populate the variable I was toaking about. You could add a conditional action to a custom button but the Submit button or the AutoSubmit is needed if you want to transfer the score to a LMS.  Is that the case?  I could figure out a workaround if you don't mind to have a custom Submit button and a custom Next button? Let me know....

Drag&Drop is not a 'normal' question slide like those based on the quizzing master slides. It will not correctly show during review what the other quiz slides do. The Submit button is an embedded objects, like on the quiz slides. It is not behaving like other buttons where Success event means clicking on the button, and Failure event clicking outside of the button. You have only the Success aevent and the Last Attempt event to trigger an action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am trying to transfer the score to the LMS. Your articles have been super helpful, and got me closer to what I need, but isn't all the way. Also, the person I am building this for does not use the quiz review so that is not a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make this even more complicated, I found your blog article on making the feedback boxes seem like buttons, i.e. on all other quiz slides the Correct and Incorrect feedback says Click to continue to the next slide so the users think they are clicking a button to move, even though they aren't really, but I liked that it seemed to be clicking a button. But the D&D  moves on to the next slide even when I now have feedback to "answer before continuing" or on correct or incorrect feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources