Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migrated FCP7 to Pr Successfully But Question re: master clips

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!

So I have a very important legacy project (Feature Length Doc film) which was cut in FCP7 and I have been wanting to properly archive all the used clips, sound and other media from this project in one place so down the line I have all the "needed" assets and a Premiere timeline all in one place.

After some hic-ups I was able to export an .xml from FCP7 which seems to have translated to Adobe Premiere well ( I am going to go through  the painstaking task of double checking that this coming week), but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to compile/copy (for lack of a better word) ONLY the clips, assets, and media used in the final sequence onto a single drive.

Right now as there were many iterations of sound design and shot stabilizations and titles etc... the original folder structures and organization left a lot to be desired.

I would like to rectify that in this "proper archive"

So in short:

THE QUESTION - How to copy all used files in a sequence to another drive with Adobe Premiere from a project that was imported with a FCP7 XML file? Are there any pitfalls I should be weary of? Also I am assuming if I "re-organize" the files within Premiere (not in finder) then everything should also hook up as well... correct?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the project successfully migrates from FCP-7, then in Premiere, go to File > Project Manager and use the Project Manager to collect all your assets and copy them to another disc.

You should verify the archived elements and project work correctly, before deleting anything.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Meg the Dog and Ann Bens!

That did work but I have 2 follow up questions on this type of workflow.

1. I had several sequences in this XML project which all did transfer over... So as a test I used project manager to copy all the files from one of the sequences into one folder (it is no surprise that all files no matter what they are were dumped into this folder) but now that I know it work I would like to do the same to the other sequences WITHOUT making duplicate files (these other sequences share many if not most of the same clips) so is there a way to do that Before I clean up that folder and sort out assets into their correct folder structure.

2. I had assumed that once the files were copied to the other drive that Premiere would also include that folder in the project window. It did not... So how do I link those files to the project and how do I properly re-organize the files into the aforementioned clean folder structure.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might want to have a look at the Project Manager (under File).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines