• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are there limits on the number of Tone Curve presets?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have acquired two different sets of Tone Curve presets which are stored in the in the Curves sub-folder of Camera Raw. I seem to able to only install up to the first 10. Any number beyond that do not show up under the Point Curve drop down menu. I would like to have more than this limit and am wondering how that might be achieved?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can create and save my own tone curve presets and already have 14 visible, so I doubt there is a "limit".

Is it possible that some of the preset files have "illegal" characters in their filenames? (This problem also affects loading Develop Presets. An 'Install' stops at the first file with illegal characters.)

And, are you sure they are all Tone Curve Presets? Could some be Develop Presets?

Sub-folders within the {Curves} folder are not allowed or visible.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much WobertC for your response. I will double check the to insure that they do not contain illegal file names. The set that I have visible at th emoment are definitely Curve presets the others I am not 100% certain. Is there a way to tell the difference? I gues I can try to load them into the Develop Folder and see if they show up. Is there a more ecological way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A way to "tell the difference" may be to Open the .XMP file in a text editor (eg. Windows Notepad). You might find references to "Tone Curve" or "Preset Type" to indicate the purpose.

I have also read about Develop Presets that had problems because the 'Internal' name, embedded within the text of the Preset, contained illegal characters. (the OS Filenames were OK)

If you purchased the Tone Curve Presets, you may be able to seek more advice from the seller.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks once again. Your responses have been immensely helpful and very timely.

Most grateful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wobert C...back again. Where the limit seems to exist is specifically in pull down menu on the Point Curve. You have the three that come standard in LR Linear, Medium Contrast and Strong Contrast. Then you can only load 9 more in that pull down menu. Any number beyond that will not show up. I confirmed that all the Curve presets are correct xmp files but when I load the two sets which I purchased at some time only the first nine show up in the pull down menu. Any Curve Presets that create get catalogued in Use Presets.

Any thoughts?

I would like to make a feature request that a larger capacity of Point Curve presets be visible when you clip the arrows in the pull down menu in the Tone Curve/Point Curve menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have downloaded a set for Negative inversion, and created a couple for myself from 'Save' in the menu list, and now can see this in my screen-clip:  More than 9!

ScreenShot124.jpg

And just 'Saved' a couple more-  Boost Blue Channel, etc.

ScreenShot127.jpg

Can you confirm for me the Version NUMBER of Lightroom you are using by posting a screen-clip of your System Info from the LR Menu: HELP > SYSTEM INFO...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. Here is the screen clip or copy of the System info per your instructions.

I notice in your note that you said you downloaded and SAVED. I have been placing the additional that I had in the Curves folder in Camera Raw. Could this be the reason that I am only seeing only 9.

I am most appreciative of your help.

I look forward to your response.

Lightroom Classic version: 7.5 [ 1186149 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en-PE

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.13.6 [17G65]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 2.5 GHz

Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16,384.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 944.9 MB (5.7%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 9,047.3 MB

Memory cache size: 578.7MB

Internal Camera Raw revision: 1001

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 3

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

Camera Raw virtual memory: 2122MB / 8191MB (25%)

Camera Raw real memory: 2156MB / 16384MB (13%)

Displays: 1) 1920x1080

Graphics Processor Info:

Metal: Intel HD Graphics 4000

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic CC

Library Path: /Volumes/SC 4TB BKUP PHOTOS NEWTECH & LACIE/BACK UP OF MACBOOK AUG 12 2018/Users/Mac/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog-2.lrcat

Settings Folder: /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) AdobeStock

2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in

3) Canon Tether Plugin

4) Facebook

5) Flickr

6) Nikon Tether Plugin

7) Photolemur

Config.lua flags: None

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 512

AudioDeviceName: BoomAudio

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: 10.0x7

CoreImage: true

GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_BLUE_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_GREEN_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_RED_BITS: 0

GL_ALPHA_BITS: 8

GL_BLUE_BITS: 8

GL_DEPTH_BITS: 24

GL_GREEN_BITS: 8

GL_MAX_3D_TEXTURE_SIZE: 2048

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS: 8

GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS: 16384,16384

GL_RED_BITS: 8

GL_RENDERER: Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine

GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 1.20

GL_STENCIL_BITS: 8

GL_VENDOR: Intel Inc.

GL_VERSION: 2.1 INTEL-10.36.19

OGLEnabled: true

GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_float_pixels GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range GL_APPLE_vertex_point_size GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your System Info report looks OK.

Although I note your current catalog is in a very long path address (in a "Backup" folder?)-

"Library Path: /Volumes/SC 4TB BKUP PHOTOS NEWTECH & LACIE/BACK UP OF MACBOOK AUG 12 2018/Users/Mac/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog-2.lrcat"

Is it possible that some of your 'Curve' presets are in fact Global Development Presets that include a Tone Curve?  ie. they belong in the {Settings} folder along with other Develop Presets.  If this is the case then they would not work if placed in the {Curves} folder.

And be sure not to have sub-folders in the {Curves} folder.

Here is a screen-clip of my {Curves} folder, with 16 Curve Presets-

ScreenShot130.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon Wobert,

I thought it would be useful to us both of I made screen shots of what I will call the original Curve Presets both in the Curves Folder and in LR. Then a screen shot of Pixel Savy Curve Presets solely in the Curves Folder and in LR. Finally a screen shot of the two sets combined in Curves Folder and the resultant in LR...which remains limited at 9. I verified that the Pixel Savy Curves are all Curve presets. Just to eliminate that as a possibility.

original in Curves Folder.png

These are the original in Curves Folder

Original in LR.png

These are the original in LR

Pixel Savy in Curves Folder.png

The Pixel Savy presets in the Curves Folder

Pixel Savy in LR.png

The Pixel Savy presets in LR. And, you can see that not all are visible

Combined Original and Pixek Savy in Curves Folder.png

The combined two groups in the Curves Folder

Combined in LR.png

That is all that I am able to make visible.

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A mystery to me!

Unless there is a difference between Mac and PC systems. Or some presets are not compatible with LR v7.5

I do note in your screen-clip that the icons beside the xmp files are different for those not showing in Lightroom (pure white)-

ScreenShot134.jpg

And some seem to selectively disappear from LR (eg. Mariner.xmp, Monochromacy.xmp)

Your screen-clip of the folders shows {Curves} and {Settings} are adjacent in your Finder view. My PC {Camera Raw} folder has several other folders between these two, so not sure if that is significant either for a Mac/PC difference.

ScreenShot138.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I too saw the difference in the tabs next to xmp files. They work nonetheless when installed. But there does seem to be a limit on the Mac version because when I put the 11 Pixel Savy presets in the Curves Folder only 9 show up on the pull down menu.

I am supsecting that there may be a difference between the Windows Version and Mac Version. I am wondering how I can find that out from someone at Adobe. I noticed you have ACP designation next to your name which obviously means you have extensive experience with the product. Any thoughts on that?

I think I am going to try the Pixel Savy files in Settings with the Profiles and Presets and see what happens. I don't think I will cause some major problem do you?

I am most appreciative for your taking time and energy to respond to my dilemma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just loaded de Pixel Savy Presets in Settings and they do not show up anywhere. Nothing gained or Lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"ACP"- Me- Just a keen amateur with a hobby interest in photography and LR in particular

(A Bio visible by hovering cursor on my User name)

Can I suggest you post your question over at- Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

There may be a better chance that Staff or MVPs will see your question and have an answer.

I note that you verified the Presets are for Tone Curves, but Tone Curves can also be included in a "Develop" Preset.

While searching the internet for "Tone Curve" presets I notice that many are provided as "Develop" presets. Have you tried placing the 'invisible' xmp files in a User 'Develop' folder?

I also just downloaded some 'Free' Develop Presets that installed OK but they all did absolutely 'nothing' when selected- not even a change to preview window, so I suspect that many presets created by 'older' versions of LR may not be compatible with Classic v7.5, and there were recent changes to the Tone Curve Panel (Curve made larger) that may have also had consequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines