Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects won't open project

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2012 Dec 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I created a project in AE. While rendering a comp, ae crashed. I restarted it and tried to open the project again. The Open-Dialog shows up but it only goes until 67%, then ae freezes.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Tobias

TOPICS
Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 22, 2012 Dec 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new project and import the old project into it.

Beyond that advice, we need to know a lot more if we're going to help you further. Please provide answers to the questions listed here: "FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2012 Dec 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I should give you some more information. My operating system is Mac OS 10.8.2, After Effects version is CS5.5. The video is .m2v, 3minutes long, 1920  x 1080. I´ve got an Intel core 2 duo 2.53 GHz and 8GB of RAM. I applied a B/W effect, a vignette, some noise and a fast blur to the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try what I suggested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but it froze at 67%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening the project in After Effects CS6.

You can get a free trial version of After Effects CS6 with which to try this:

http://adobe.ly/ha8ANY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.... stuck at 85%

How do I import a project into another one? i tired creating a new project and then opening the corrupted one... How donI import into another one?

AEP File: Lots of Adjustment Layers with Chrves, Camera Blur, Ai Files, 2 minutes of media.

Macbook Pro 13": 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8Gb Ram, Nvidia 320M, SSD+ HD

Adobe After Effects CS6.

I imported a sequence from premiere and then did color adjustment in after.

Please helppppp!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 17, 2013 Aug 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> How do I import a project into another one? i tired creating a new project and then opening the corrupted one... How donI import into another one?

See After Effects Help:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7f47a.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have Adobe After Effect CC 2018 and it has been working perfectly fine until around now. Last night I made a project, did the editing and stuff I needed to do, saved it then went to bed. Then this morning I opened After Effects to render it since I finished and saved the project last night but the project won’t open. Adobe is working fine but the project won’t open up, it says “Unable to import file as project (bad format or not readable)“. I tried opening a new comp and importing it into there and I also tried again with caps lock on and it’s still not importing, could you help?

I use Windows if that helps you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open any of the auto-saves?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, any time I click on it it doesn’t load. It just says the same thing everytime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I restarted it and tried to open the project again. The Open-Dialog shows up but it only goes until 67%, then ae freezes.

That's why people save incrementally or have backups... In addition to what Todd already suggested, you might try enablking capslock when opening the project to suppress rendering. This might allow you to save an intact copy and remove e.g. offending effects/ plug-ins...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved it before rendering. I also tried to enable capslock. But this didn't help. I also can access the project through other products like media encoder. So i can still render it out, but I'm not able to edit the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone managed to resolve this problem. I have the same issue and it's 2016 now, running AE CC2015. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If AE crashed and the project file no longer opens, it is corrupt. If importing it into another project doesn't work. Grab one of AE's autosaved versions and pick up working from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately, autosaved versions don't work either. How is that possible, Adobe is selling us product that causes so much pain and frustration and no real support. Just finished chatting with their support agent and he basically told me bluntly that there's nothing they can do. What do we pay them then for what is supposed to be a professional product. How can anyone work like this> I don't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait...your autosaves won't open? That's not right. What error message are you getting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no message, AE just freezes and I have to force quite it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that After Effects doesn't open at all or just that those projects won't open?

If AE won't open at all, do you happen to have AVG antivirus installed?

If AE opens, but then won't open those files, do you know offhand what plugins or scripts were used in those projects? Try opening one with caps lock turned on. Also try opening it with AE CC 2014..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, the caps trick totally did it. OMG, I can't believe this, life saver, thanks a million, man. I would kiss you if I could, hahahaha. So happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha! Glad to help. If you're ever near Nashville, I'll be happy to take a nice glass of bourbon or scotch instead of that kiss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hahahah, sorry, I live in Wales, UK. Unfortunately no trips planned to the US, cheers, mate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to live in Devon - not too far south of you! Have a great day. If you need anything else, we forum folk are always there for you. Also, if you're a Redditor, come hang out with us in /r/AfterEffects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, mate, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is my first post ever in a Forum, and it's not in my language, please pardon my English...

I had the same problem, in march 2018, with the Adobe After Effects CC 2018, running on MacOS Sierra.

None of my Auto-save projects worked, even if imported in a new project. AE freezes during the opening or importing process (57% or 62%). Had to force quitting.
Then, I realized I imported a Premiere Pro sequence in my After Effects project, by Dynamic Link.

I just opened my Premiere Pro project, and after that, my AE project magically opened again. So, this may be a Dynamic Link problem...

I hope this may help people having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines