• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PKIX path building failed: java.security.cert.CertPathBuilderException: Could not build a validated path

Enthusiast ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my HTTP request, I kept getting this error.

handling exception: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: java.security.cert.CertPathBuilderException: Could not build a validated path.

Sep 16, 2016 10:26:14 AM Error [ajp-bio-8013-exec-2] - ERROR: failed to read from https://myapps.example.com/units.json. Response code: 'Connection Failure.  Status code unavailable.' Error details: 'I/O Exception: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: java.security.cert.CertPathBuilderException: Could not build a validated path.'

I found this page, https://www.hass.de/content/coldfusion-java-pkix-path-building-failed-javasecuritycertcertpathbuilde... , that talks about the same exact error that I have. However, it didn't resolve my issue even though I verified that the certificate is already exist in my cacerts file.

TOPICS
Security

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that the server is requiring a more modern protocol such as TLS 1.2, and you are using an old version of Java which does not support TLS 1.2. You need to make sure you are using Java 1.8 or greater (TLS 1.2 can be supported on Java 1.7 but it is not enabled by default).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your ColdFusion version? What Java version does it run on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to say thanks to Pete. Bumping up the Java version also solved our problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JDK 1.8 with update 122 will use TLS 1.2 as default

https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/jdk-8-will-use-tls-12-as-default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paulo, would you mind offering some context to your comment here? Are you reporting that as version info for your having the problem discussed above? Or are you reporting it as a solution?

And for anyone interested in more about Pete's suggestion (and how the Java update may have worked for Paolo) , I'll add that about a year ago I'd done a post with more at https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2019/06/error-calling-cf-via-https-solved-updating-jvm/. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie, I just wanted to add a more precise detail as a comment in this post with the micro version of JDK

Thanks a lot for your post, but on Google it came out after Pete's post, sorry 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for clarifying the intent of that first comment. As for the second point you make, I don't quite understand it, but to be clear I don't see Pete and me as in competition. We both just want to help folks, whoever's post may come up "first". 🙂 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation