• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview unavailable and unable to edit or see image in LightRoom but file is in the folder

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue importing photos sent to me by friends through Whatsapp and stored on my iphone.  When I try to import these files, the file is migrated to the same folder by date as the other photos that I took, but the images cannot be previewed or edited.   I have checked and I have read/write access to the files and I have upgraded the software and tried to reimport the files and have the same error.  I have tried renaming the files to shorter names without hyphens and moving the files to the pictures folder that was suggested in another thread.  None of these have worked so I just see greyed boxes where these photos are when I look at a set of photos taken on the same date.   I believe the photos are coming from Samsung phones.  I don't think I have an issue when someone Airdrops me a file from another iPhone.

Can someone suggest how to fix this. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the file name of these images?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are jpeg files.  They had long file names like aldsf-saddlfasdof-asdfjasd.jpg and I tried renaming them also to shorter names with .jpg file extension and this did not change the outcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I repeat: what is the exact file name of one of those images?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

208fc203-abb2-497d-adf4-225fec032bc6.jpg was one example.  I tried renaming the files as indicated above, but still had the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen filenames similar to this from recovery software ( after accidental deletions ).

My best guess is that the files are corrupt or not complete.

Have you tried renaming one image with the file-type suffix of .TIF  as an experiment, to see if it might then show?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried renaming one image with the fie extension of TIF and reimported but I had the same error.   The photos are saved from WhatsApp to my camera roll on my iphone.  I just tried to import a photo from WhatsApp that was sent to me by a fellow iPhone user and I had no issues importing the file.  I have not deleted the files from my phone or computer, they are just coming from a source that seems to be creating a corruption or file error that I can't seem to work around other than taking a screenshot of the image on my own phone, but that is super tedious and time consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant the file name after renaming. Anyway, it seems more likely that the images are not recovered correctly.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ediite1.jpg.   They are coming from my camera role after saving from WhatsApp and sent by a non-iphone user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines