• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert xmp to lrtemplate?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lots of presets from ACR and i wont to import them to Lightroom as a "general" presets ( I do not mean the case where an .xmp is generated for every photo in the dir). How to do that, is this possible maybe some one have a tutorial or maybe some plugin or 3th party app?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

tom-zmrol  wrote

I do not have lr and I do not intend to use lr in my normal-photo work but many people want to use/check my presets but most of them do not understand ACR or dont know what to do if they do not see label "lightroom presets" and/or perhaps they have a older version then 7.3...

If you only have Photoshop/ACR, (and do not want to use Lightroom), you can only create Presets for ACR. YOU cannot convert them to the .lrtemplate format.

For the "many people (who) want to use..." your pres

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there's a plugin or app that can do this, but what version of Lightroom Classic are you using? Lightroom Classic 7.3 changed the presets from lrtemplate to xmp...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video tutorial demonstrates what you're asking for. However, if you have many ACR presets then it'll be quite time consuming.

How To Convert Adobe Camera Raw Presets To Lightroom Presets - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes.. I saw this "movie" before i start this threat and itsnt about converting only about creating presets.. that why i create this question because i have situation that i have many "old" xmp's, no photo/image. I have to convert xmp to lrtemplate no "save as lr preset"... i had hope because .xmp is basically this same as .lrtemplathe, this same philosophy and functionality  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand the need for this question (unless you still use 'old' versions of Lightroom)

LR-Classic v7.3 (and the new 7.3.1)  now automatically supports .XMP Presets.

'.lrtemplate' files are a thing of the past. (They can still be added as 'Legacy' presets and LR will convert them to .XMP )

If you have .XMP Presets in ACR then they should now also be visible in Lightroom Presets Panel.

That Youtube video is now obsolete and the method shown is not required!

Now you simply create a Preset in ACR and it will automatically be visible in Lightroom (after a re-start).

ScreenShot113.jpg

ScreenShot114.jpg

ScreenShot115.jpg

Likewise- You can create a Profile in ACR which will show in the new Lightroom Profile Browser panel.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I do not understand the need for this question (unless you still use 'old' versions of Lightroom)"

I do not have lr and I do not intend to use lr in my normal-photo work but many people want to use/check my presets but most of them do not understand ACR or dont know what to do if they do not see label "lightroom presets" and/or perhaps they have a older version then 7.3...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tom-zmrol  wrote

That's more than a bit confusing. Can you clarify?

But, an *.lrtemplate file is a dedicated Lightroom format and so far as I know can only be created by Lightroom itself - any version earlier than Classic 7.3, although a version of LR that is parallel to or later than the version of ACR that made the .xmp preset may be needed in order to include all the Develop settings in the preset. Once you have access to LR, the procedure is exactly as outlined in the above cited video:

1. Load a Raw file into ACR.

2. Apply the preset.

3. Click Done.

4. Import the same Raw into LR if it has not been previously imported. Select the file and open Develop.

5. From the Menu Bar select Photo/Read Metadata from File and confirm the warning that this will overwrite data already in the catalog.

6. In the left side Presets panel create a new User Preset, select the settings to be included in it and give it a name.

7. To share it, open Preferences and in the Presets tab click on Show Presets Folder. In the Explorer/Finder window open Lightroom/Develop Presets/User Presets and copy the new lrtemplate file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a set of presets to sell, and I want users of older versions of LR (non CC versions) to be able to use these presets.

Am I correct that I cannot now create LRtemplate  preset files with my updated version of Lightroom Classic CC, but I can only create XMP preset files?

And am I correct that older, non CC versions of Lightroom will not be able to use XMP presets?

How do I now create presets that can be used in both old and new versions of Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I correct that I cannot now create LRtemplate  preset files with my updated version of Lightroom Classic CC, but I can only create XMP preset files?

Yes, from Classic v7.3 for Develop Presets.  Brush presets still use '.lrtemplate'

And am I correct that older, non CC versions of Lightroom will not be able to use XMP presets?

Yes, for Develop Presets. (Previous to  Classic v7.3)

How do I now create presets that can be used in both old and new versions of Lightroom?

Run both old & new versions?

Seek more expert advice. (My amateur hobbiest advice is of limited knowledge!)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tom-zmrol  wrote

If you only have Photoshop/ACR, (and do not want to use Lightroom), you can only create Presets for ACR. YOU cannot convert them to the .lrtemplate format.

For the "many people (who) want to use..." your presets, THEY would need to either-

a) Use the XMP presets with LR-Classic (v7.3.1),  or

b) If using LR versions earlier than 7.3 - Convert the XMP presets with the 'ACR' method in the video, and as detailed by @elie_di above.

tom-zmrol- If you are selling or providing Presets to other people I think you need to 'get with the program' and update your software with a subscription plan to the "latest" versions of Photoshop and Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC  napisaÅ‚(-a)

tom-zmrol- If you are selling or providing Presets to other people I think you need to 'get with the program' and update your software with a subscription plan to the "latest" versions of Photoshop and Lightroom Classic.

my acr is always updated   lr i had 1 day and removed 2 days ago and i'm very happy wit that

@elie_di

"That's more than a bit confusing. Can you clarify?"
which element exactly? I was convinced that the lr was still using .lrtemplate (i dont use lr so didn't know that).

For years I have seen statements, questions from photographers who do not understand that LR and ACR are the same, although they also use ps and do not know about the existence of ACR or that ACR looks "old, harsh" so it must be worse than LR etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my acr is always updated

That is fine, and you can be happy with that.

The XMP Presets and Profiles you create with ACR will be compatible with Lightroom-Classic v7.3 and future versions.

For people with 'older' versions of LR- well, they will have to use the conversion method as given in the posts above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the opposite problem.  I have adjustment brush presets for LR that I'd like to use in Camera Raw however they are in LRTemplate format and Camera Raw doesn't recognize them.  They work in LR so I assume they have been converted to XMP but they do not show up in Camera Raw.  My other presets that are XMP show up in both.  Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

margueritew46131361  wrote

I have the opposite problem.  I have adjustment brush presets for LR that I'd like to use in Camera Raw however they are in LRTemplate format and Camera Raw doesn't recognize them.  They work in LR so I assume they have been converted to XMP but they do not show up in Camera Raw.  My other presets that are XMP show up in both.  Any ideas?

Then you are not using the most current version of LR, or even LR V7.3 or above.

LR 7.3 converted all LRTemplate files to XMP so both LR and ACR can use the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the most updated form of LR.  I also checked the paths of those adjustment presets.  They still say LRTemplate, work in LR but don't show in Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To the best of my knowledge-

Lightroom has not yet begun to use .XMP brushes. To my knowledge .XMP Brushes are only used by ACR , and in Lightroom they remain as .LRTEMPLATE files.

The "CameraRaw/LocalCorrections" folder is for ACR  .XMP brushes.

LR still uses the old preset location  ....\Adobe\Lightroom\Local Adjustment Presets  for  the .LRTEMPLATE Brush preset files.

LR 7.3 converted all LRTemplate files to XMP so both LR and ACR can use the same.

Only applies to "Global" LR Develop Presets and Camera Profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense as my "global" presets were available.  Strange they didn't do the same for the adjustment brush presets!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This took a while for me to figure out. It ended up being more than I could fit into this textbox so here's a write up on how I was able to convert an XMP to an lrtemplate.

I couldn't find a way to get XMP to work on older versions of Lightroom. I can relate to you in that I'm also selling my presets on my site. But I found most users are still on outdated versions of LR. So the solution involves converting the presets using an older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Taylor for doing the research on this.  I am going to try your method! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But this way only works if you're using LR CC. It's not working with LR Classic CC. I found a way to convert xmp to lrtemplate with a older second instance of LR: https://martin-hirsch.com/lightroom-xmp-nach-lrtemplate-konvertieren/

Sorry, it's in German, but i think Google will help you to translate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Guys,

I have download paid .XMP presets but once it load those into Camera Raw/setting/users presets or tried with "Open Lightroom Classic CC, go to the Develop module, click File, then click Import Develop Presets and Profiles" - close and  reopen Lightroom Classic CC(i have latest Lightroom since i pay adobe every month for the subscription). Does anyone had issue or have solution please let me know. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Tylor! Thanks again for your research and I was wondering if your found a new method for converting XMP presets to LRTEMPLATE since the article is from Sep 2018. Would love to know. THANKS!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks for asking! Since I posted last, I actually spent the time developing a program that converts the XMP files into LRTemplate files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines