• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Optimizing for multicam

Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone direct me to some information for optimizing hardware/software for the best multicam editing performance?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mainly a good Nvidia card. otherwise, everything you would normally need for good playback and functionality like lots of cores and RAM. it helps if the various cameras are the same format and frame rate etc but not necessary. if playback is not smooth then go down to 1/2 or 1/4 quality. I can do at least 4 HD cameras smoothly at full quality, and sometimes more than that. I had 1 project with 9 cameras and that was tough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to use Cineform proxies.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim makes a great point - if your computer can't keep up, then just make proxies. once they're rendered, it's very easy to turn them on and off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating proxies to try (6 x 1 hour clips - it'll be a while).

Jim - In what situations would you NOT want proxies on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using ProRes, DNx or Cineform originals.  Other than that...proxies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I re-rendered (transcoded?) the originals to those formats you mentioned, could I skip proxies and enjoy stutter-free multicam editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I re-rendered (transcoded?) the originals to those formats you mentioned, could I skip proxies and enjoy stutter-free multicam editing?

For HD, probably.  But 4K files can be demanding, even when they're ProRes or DNx.

Cineform proxies don't have that issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Jim Simon's suggestion, here are some suggested hardware :

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-143

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great info Carlos!  I purchased my workstation last year and I see I've got some room for improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great ! good luck then ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm...  Not much difference with the proxies.  Perhaps I should encode these HD MPEGs to ProRes and start over?  And why don't I see ProRes as a format in Media Encoder?  Is that a Mac format?  (I'm using Windows)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Windows version can play ProRes files, it just can't make them.

If you're not seeing improvement with Cineform proxies, and assuming proxies are turned on, then you need faster hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you're right Jim.  Another thing that might also be contributing to this is that I'm trying to edit multicam with painfully long clips (1 hour each).  Since it's a band performance I'm going to try prepping individual songs by converting them all to DNx files with proxies and see what happens there.  If that don't work...  I'll be off to the computer store to soup up the rig sooner rather than later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The clip duration won't be a factor in playback performance.

Ideally you would have recorded the entire concert as one clip per camera, without turning the cameras on and off.  Convert those original long clips to Cineform proxies as a first step.  Create the multicam as a second step using the process below.

Manual Multi-Camera Method

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to give it a try anyway.  It can't hurt anything.  The funny thing here is that prior to the most recent Premiere update, everything was moving along swimmingly.  6 x 1 hour clips synced from the source clips to a master audio track as matched source .MPEGS.  I was able to edit all 6 cameras smoothly @ 1/2 resolution.  Immediately after the update, Premiere was complaining that it no longer supported Quicktime (.MOV) files, which cleared up on its own(?) after a couple of frustrating days - (all my MPEG videos went offline, I'm suspecting because they originated as .MOV files) - BUT...  Then my multicam editing started stuttering.  I managed to get 3 clips edited prior to this mishap.  So now I'm willing to try anything short of hiring psychics to make it work.  A good time to experiment for a little bit.

I'm using an i7 with an SSD but I'll likely need to add more RAM.  But I still can't figure out why the heck it went so bad after the update. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim_Simon  wrote

The Windows version can play ProRes files, it just can't make them.

If you're not seeing improvement with Cineform proxies, and assuming proxies are turned on, then you need faster hardware.

One thing you want to watch is your hard drive throughput.

If you have 6 clips that are 50Mbps, that's 300Mbps of required bandwidth.

Aside from that, if it's a mechanical drive, you have head/platter movement to contend with.

Six files means that the drive could be doing a lot of back-and-forth movement.

I found that out, working on a video wall (36 video clips).

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim - I'm using a solid state drive.  The clips are currently rendering DNx to about 6GB each so I think the drive should be able to handle that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Heh...  I installed 64GB of RAM and the original videos still stutter.  In fact, I think it's worse.  I'm thinking about adding a 2nd SSHD so I have room for the huge DNx files and maybe hire those psychics.  What on earth did Adobe's update do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines