Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No page break in the printouts of CHM file

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2009 Mar 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Robohelp 8.0 for word.

I am generating CHM file.My input file is an Word document.

My project is over.Now when i try to give printout from my chm file,the resulting printouts does not have any page break.

When I choose "Print the selected heading and all subtopics" the document prints with no margins (top, bottom, right or left) and there are no page breaks. The document should print with margins (1" x 1" on sides, top and bottom)

its very urgent ..i am having delivery in an half an hour...this is the only issue which is show stopper.please help me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

Never ever print from CHM. The result is always awful and not what you want.

Create printed output from your RoboHelp source file(s) and print from that instead.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,thanks so much for your reply...but our requirement is to print from the chm file.
We deliver the CHM file to the customer and they want give printout from chm file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Perhaps you can use RoboHelp to create a PDF version of the file. Then include the PDF as a Baggage File and have a link inside the CHM that will open the PDF. The user would then print from the PDF and have a much better result than printing from the CHM.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To back up Rick's suggestions, there is no way to insert a page break when printing from inside a CHM. Printing in this fashion is a bit like dumping to an ASCII text file and printing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Rick,

Thanks again....
My entire project is over....
i am in 11th hour....
there are plenty of customer reviews of my chm file is also over....
but they need the feature to print from chm file....This is my showstopper....
I can not switch from CHM TO PDF now.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi there

I do understand that your project is over. But you still have the project source files, right?

My point was not to suggest you replace the .CHM with .PDF. What I suggested was to use RoboHelp to create a PDF as you wish for it to be printed. Then add that PDF to your RoboHelp output. This would provide your end user with a slightly larger CHM file as the PDF is inside it. If your user wants to print, instead of using the option to print from the CHM, they click a link somewhere inside the CHM and that link will open the PDF. They could then print from the PDF and it would look as pretty as any print does on paper.

You seem to be implying that you have already shipped the CHM file and you just want an easy fix for the end user. The problem here is that what I've proposed is probably the easiest fix you are going to find. Regardless of how you choose to try and fix it, there is no getting around recompiling your CHM file and redistributing it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said "When I choose "Print the selected heading and all subtopics" the document prints with no margins (top, bottom, right or left) and there are no page breaks. The document should print with margins (1" x 1" on sides, top and bottom)"

Is that the only issue? Unless something has changed, it used to be the case that all styles were lost if you printed all topics in the book. There is a way of dealing with that in Snippet 46 on my site but it is a real pain. It will not give you page breaks.

There is a separate snippet on inserting code to force page breaks in HTML but you really don't want to go there. You would have to print, decide where the break is and then insert code. The next person's printer might not handle things the same way. For example if you have some users in the US with Letter size paper and pretty much everywhere else using A4.

Rick's advice to create PDFs is the better solution. You could create buttons allowing the user to click those in the CHM and get the printed output.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and it really wouldn't take too long to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp