Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

911! Duplicate file & disassociation

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!

I'm a wedding photographer. I use LR collections to keep track of which images I have delivered to my clients. However,  I recently had to move some files around, and copied them to another EHD. All of a sudden, the edited versions of the images in the collections are saying not found, however when I go to re-associate the image, it says its already in the collection, and when I go to where it is, there's both versions!

I really don't have the time or energy to re-cull & re-edit everything. PLEASE HELP!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the missing file preview thumbnail have a "missing image" icon in the top right of the thumbnail in the Library Panel?

If so, can you re-link to that image from within your Library Panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has the missing image icon, but when I click it, re locate the file and

try to re associate it, it tells me that the image is associated with

another image in the catalog. Did you not read the post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had to move some files around, and copied them to another EHD.

So you now possibly have TWO copies of the files somewhere in your system. (Internal & External)

it tells me that the image is associated with another image in the catalog.

So Lightroom is possibly referring to the "Moved" file (internal?) as the 'missing' file, and you are trying to re-link the preview to the "Copied" file (External). This will cause the error message.

It gets confusing for sure!

https://laurashoe.com/2016/12/29/clean-up-your-files-and-folders-in-lightroom/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Both copies are external. I even removed the other EHD from LR. I not

only unplugged it, but also told LR to remove those files from LR. But the

files in the collections STILL think they’re on the old drive. When I try

to update its location, it tells me it’s already associated with another

file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use LR collections to keep track of which images I have delivered to my clients. However,  I recently had to move some files around, and copied them to another EHD. All of a sudden, the edited versions of the images in the collections are saying not found, however when I go to re-associate the image, it says its already in the collection, and when I go to where it is, there's both versions!

"both versions"? What does that mean, "both"??

How are you trying to re-associate the image? Tell us the exact sequence of steps, using the Lightroom name of the command or action. What is the exact word-for-word error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images exist on drive Y, also exist on drive X. Removed drive X from LR

(right click>remove) then i synchronized Y (right click>synchronize)

Now LR should know all the files from X drive still exist on Y, and are

just in a new location. If I go to Y>folder and look for an image in LR,

there it is. LR knows it’s there, I can edit it, and the file path KNOWS

it’s on drive Y.

If I go the the collection where the image is referenced, LR gives me the

“missing image file” alert. If I click that to “locate missing image” I go

to y>folder>image and that’s the same and ONLY version of the file, LR

comes back with the error message that says “this file is already

associated with another image in the catalog” and two buttons, either okay,

or show in catalog.

It’s like rather than reference a file into the collection, LR has

recognized those images as their own entities, even though they are not. I

SHOULD be able to tell LR where the source file is, but short of deleting

the version LR thinks is it, I can’t. I have 10,000+ images like this, and

I don’t have the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

arobertsonphoto  wrote

Images exist on drive Y, also exist on drive X. Removed drive X from LR

(right click>remove) then i synchronized Y (right click>synchronize)

Now LR should know all the files from X drive still exist on Y, and are

just in a new location. If I go to Y>folder and look for an image in LR,

there it is. LR knows it’s there, I can edit it, and the file path KNOWS

it’s on drive Y.

This is completely the wrong way to do this.

If I go the the collection where the image is referenced, LR gives me the “missing image file” alert. If I click that to “locate missing image” I go to y>folder>image and that’s the same and ONLY version of the file

But you just told me the file exists on both X and Y. Anyway, when it comes down to a choice between believing the user who says there's only one image in Lightroom, or Lightroom which says the image is already in the catalog somewhere else, I believe Lightroom. The problem you are having is that the photo exists in some other folder, not the one you expect it to be in, because you ACCIDENTALLY imported it into the wrong folder at some point. You need to find all copies of this image in Lightroom via the following method, please perform ALL FOUR of these steps in Lightroom (not one or two or three of these steps, but ALL FOUR)

1. Click on All Photographs
  2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
  3. Expand All Stacks (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
  4. Search for the photo by file name using the Lightroom filter bar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi arobertson,

There are a number of ways to find your missing images. If you haven't deleted anything this should be straightforward.

How to find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC

You can search within Lr as DJ Paige has suggested or you can search your system. To search your system

Select an image and copy the file name. Paste the file name in the system search (spotlight on a mac). Select the search result that matches the file name, right-click and Open in enclosing folder. Once you know where the file has been moved to, go back into Lr, Select the Missing Image icon and relocate it by navigating to that folder. Missing images in the same folder should show up as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

cmgap  wrote

Select an image and copy the file name. Paste the file name in the system search (spotlight on a mac). Select the search result that matches the file name, right-click and Open in enclosing folder. Once you know where the file has been moved to, go back into Lr, Select the Missing Image icon and relocate it by navigating to that folder. Missing images in the same folder should show up as well.

I'm sorry but if the real problem is that the file has been imported into LR twice (which seems to be what the user is telling us) then finding the copy of the photo in your operating system doesn't solve the problem. To solve the problem, you have to remove the duplicate from LR (but not from the hard disk).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines