• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My site not accepting lightboxes

Participant ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My web developer can't figure it out and says my site's code is a mess from me using Contribute on it for so long.

Can someone help us figure out why? https://woodsshop.com/ This probably means some digging to get to the source of the problem and I'd be happy to compensate anyone who can help figure this out.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a lightbox script on that page.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

I don't see a lightbox script on that page.

I would think they mean on these pages, url below, click on the images, but I dont see any lightbox scripting, maybe that what they mean - tried to implement a lightbox but gave up.

https://woodsshop.com/Pavilion/shade-pavilion.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing there's just a conflict between the Owl Carousel and whatever lightbox they're trying to implement and the developer can't make heads or tails of the minified version of the Owl .js file to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right on folks this seems to be fixable hopefully! I'm not sure what all a lightbox is, I've asked my developer come on here but maybe your answers so far are enough for him to figure it out.

Osgood, what do you mean by 'tried to implement a lightbox but gave up'? I didn't think you could do anything to a website without logging in to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe_FromSD  wrote

Osgood, what do you mean by 'tried to implement a lightbox but gave up'? I didn't think you could do anything to a website without logging in to it?

Confused because I don't see anything in the code yet relating to a lightbox feature......or where exactly you want the lightbox to appear. I dont really see anything to do with owl carousel either but Jon has obviously spotted something to be refering to it in his post.

EDITED: Oh wait  a minute the js file for owl carousel is way over to the right....I just didnt scroll enough to find it.

I guess you need to point to a page where you would like the lightbox images to appear and maybe one of the regulars can help you out - I'm closing down for the night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe_FromSD  wrote

I'm not sure what all a lightbox is,

It's typically an image viewer inside a modal window or page overlay.  Below is an example with Fancybox 3.   If you click on images, you'll see the lightbox.  View source to see the code.

Alt-Web Demo :: Responsive Masonry Gallery

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we really need to see a lightbox script implemented on a test page of your site so we can see it failing. Typically a common issue with running multiple jquery plugins is that you sometimes need to run a jquery.noconflict() line so to allow "$" to be used as a function or reference. The only way to be certain is to see the runtime errors that are being generated from the page load. Ask your developer to upload a test page for us and we will see what we can find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry folks but I was a bit confused by what a lightbox is and gave you a link to my homepage which has a carousel . The lightbox I'd like to use on my other pages which have alot of images like this one https://woodsshop.com/Pavilion/shade-pavilion.htm

this is from my developer -

Everyone seems to have mentioned the lack of a lightbox script. That is correct since it wasn’t working there was no point in leaving it in place and referencing a script that doesn’t work (exactly as osgood speculated).

The mention of your carousel (used to create the homepage slideshow) is also a logical speculation. Remembering that level of detail from several months ago is asking a lot but I do recall disabling several scripts to see what effect that would have and if I could get the lightboxes working. That was a sensible process of elimination I know I performed. However, it didn’t work.

Given all the folders and subfolders, your site has over 54,000 files in more than 2700 folders (I just checked the numbers knowing they are high). This is a massively convoluted structure for a web site and the conflict could feasibly be located anywhere within that structure and cascading downhill so even the “root” level (your site’s equivalent of the C drive on your computer) is affected. That has to be what’s happening since disabling scripts did not resolve the conflict.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe - Based on feedback from your developer I have a few comments. First, are they able to put up a test page? I would never recommend in any development that live pages be used for testing because you don't want your visitors to experience errors. The fact that they didn't have a test page for troubleshooting is very concerning.

To their comment about all of your files/folders, to me this sounds like an older site that is likely in need of a refresh. However, the number of files doesn't increase the chance of error as your developer suggests. When you build an HTML file and include scripts like these they are included on your pages. Each HTML page does not reference every page within your site, but does reference a number of files. For instance that page you linked to in your last post only links to 1 javascript file (Google Analytics), 1 CSS document, 10 images. So out of the 54k files they are worried about there are only 12 files included on your document. While the Google Analytics code is out of date (in the footer as opposed to the newer async method in the head), Google does not typically conflict with jquery lightbox which leads me to believe that the implementation was not successful. The reasons are unknown because we do not have a test page to examine.  If you wanted, I could try to implement a simple lightbox script on page just to test for you and see what's going on. I would just need access to your site and you could PM that if you wanted me to take a look.

Longer-term something to think about if the "54k files/2700 folders" numbers are true, I would recommend considering how you can archive your old site and clean it up so it doesn't turn into a storage facility and really just serves the purpose of hosting your active website files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given the facts I would ask is it really a necessity to include a lightbox at all on an old site which is made up of single pages, for instance the one below:

https://woodsshop.com/Pavilion/shade-pavilion.htm

I dont know how many single pages you have but you would need to include the lightbox code and script files on each page, which could be time consuming. I dont know if you could use a find and replace to do this or not. If it cant be done automatically then its a time consuming manual job. As it is when you click on the images they do open in seperate html pages, which is functional but not very pretty or smooth BUT to implement a lightbox on every single page throughout the site might not be worth the time and effort for an old site.

Just my thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the long delay folks but I'm waiting on my developer to put up a test lightbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines