• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAW files appear edited in Photoshop, Bridge and Lightroom

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with my RAW files in Photoshop and Bridge. When I import them in Lightroom or open them in Camera RAW via Bridge they get automatically edited, The contrast and color changes and not for the better. It's like the program does a whole series of edits on my pictures.

I've been working with these programs for years and I never encountered this problem. My RAW files used to need only a small change in color and contrast. Now I have darkened shadows (almost black) and over saturated colors and to much contrast.

I know the whole story about RAW files being rendered before being shown in Lightroom or Camera RAW. But I have the feeling that it's now the other way around. My neutral RAW files are turned into edited versions without my approval.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I've tried unchecking the "use graphics processors"-box.

The "auto tone adjustment"-box seem to have disappeared in my version of Lightroom.

I've calibrated my monitor with a Spyder 5 Pro.

Now I'm all out of ideas......

Is there anyone with some suggestions?

Kind regards,

Paula

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

cmgap  wrote

you might want to take the time to set the color space across all Adobe apps.

No, this is irrelevant here. This is not the issue. Any document profile will display correctly in any color managed application. The importance of "synchronising" color settings is vastly overrated.

This looks like a defective monitor profile to me, or maybe just the wrong one. That will explain everything described here.

Paula, you can't just switch profiles randomly. You have to use the correct one. The mo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this just for new raw files that you have not previously processed. If it is , then have the defaults changed?

When you open a camera raw file for the first time the default settings are applied. This recently changed to a profile called Adobe Color

You can first Reset the defaults by clicking on the drop down (small circle above) and choosing Reset Camera Raw defaults

If you prefer, you can then alter the profile where shown in the first screenshot (it used to be Adobe Standard)

Then save new defaults by clicking on the small circle and choosing save new camera raw defaults

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

I've tried a few of my older RAW files which I've processed before and the same thing happens. Both Photoshop and Lightroom immediately edit my files when I view them in Adobe Bridge and then open them in Camera Raw. When I import them in Lightroom you see the "normal" file for a second and then it's transformed into the edited one. I know Lightroom will show the embedded JPG first, but I can not imagine that in the past few days Adobe programs have a totally different view on what my files should look like and therefore throw in a bunch of edits.

The funny things is that I started to run updates Photoshop and Lightroom after I encountered this problem. I find it hard to believe the the camera defaults changed over night without my updating. I've tried to reset the Camera RAW defaults but that doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Paula

If this is affecting old files as well as new "undeveloped" files, I would check that monitor profile. Are you able to re-profile or temporarily subsitute the sRGB profile for your monitor profile in Windows settings?

I will move your post to the Lightroom forum where you are more likely to get direct help with this issue

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I've checked my monitor profile. I have a LG monitor with wide-gamut and some options for preset profiles. I've tried them all. I've calibrated my monitor twice now, using the software from Spyder and the software from LG (True color Pro). With both calibrations and the presets the RAW files look still greatly edited.

But it keeps my wondering though.... Lightroom shows an neutral image for a few seconds before it turns into the edited version. Does it mean that Lightroom or Photoshop assign a "bad" color profile which they didn't before? I can't remember changing anything in my settings on my laptop or Adobe.

I'll try connecting a different monitor to my laptop, see what happens. And maybe opening a RAW file on a different laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do your images just Look Different or do they have the Icon set that denotes they have been edited?

In LR you see this. Icon in the lower right of the thumbnail in either the grid or filmstrip.

Filter Test.PNG

And in Bridge you see this icon.

Edit Icon in Bridge.PNG

Those icons only show if you have actually edited and image in LR of ACR. Normally changing the Default import/display settings won't add that icon to images. But applying a Preset will.

If you don't see that icon then as above it is more than likely a monitor profile problem.

You were asked to set the monitor profile to sRGB (not anything other than that). Did you do that? If Not then please do that and test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My images just look different. In both Bridge and Lightroom there is no icon indicating editing the file.

My LG monitor has a preset for sRGB, I used this preset but the images still look highly saturated and too much contrast.

I also tried to adjust the color profile in windows control panel.

I do see color and brightness changes between the different profiles. However non of them are "neutral".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulajb  wrote

My images just look different. In both Bridge and Lightroom there is no icon indicating editing the file.

My LG monitor has a preset for sRGB, I used this preset but the images still look highly saturated and too much contrast.

I also tried to adjust the color profile in windows control panel.

I do see color and brightness changes between the different profiles. However non of them are "neutral".

We are talking about setting the Operating systems monitor Color profile to sRGB. That setting on the monitor is not the OS monitor profile.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-corrupted/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please look in the History panel and see if there are edits there which would account for this change of appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing in my history panel. It only shows OPEN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you said you calibrated your monitor, but yet it sounds like this would be the only thing that could affect Lightroom, Photoshop and Bridge all together.

Try this to see if it makes a difference: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-corrupted/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there are no edits actually being applied and the images look different you might want to take the time to set the color space across all Adobe apps.

'If you use multiple Adobe applications, use Adobe® Bridge to choose a standard color management configuration and synchronize color settings across applications before working with documents. (See Synchronize color settings across Adobe applications.)'

Read more here: Keeping colors consistent, Adobe Acrobat

Hope this is helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmgap  wrote

you might want to take the time to set the color space across all Adobe apps.

No, this is irrelevant here. This is not the issue. Any document profile will display correctly in any color managed application. The importance of "synchronising" color settings is vastly overrated.

This looks like a defective monitor profile to me, or maybe just the wrong one. That will explain everything described here.

Paula, you can't just switch profiles randomly. You have to use the correct one. The monitor profile needs to describe the actual/current response of your monitor. Change any setting in the monitor, and the profile is invalidated and you need to make a new one.

Set your monitor to full native gamut, and rerun the Spyder. If it still doesn't look right, replace the Spyder profile with a known good one that isn't too far off - in this case (with a wide gamut display) that will be Adobe RGB. This is just for troubleshooting, but if it now looks roughly right, you know it's the profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. And no: no presets. and the difference between adobe color and adobe standard is really small.

that is not the problem. sudennly my photoshop and lightroom do like a MAJOR EDITING to my very flat photos.

what the hell.

and its not the monitor. nothing changed. i really dont get it. please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

manuelb41599270  wrote

Same here. And no: no presets. and the difference between adobe color and adobe standard is really small.

that is not the problem. sudennly my photoshop and lightroom do like a MAJOR EDITING to my very flat photos.

what the hell.

and its not the monitor. nothing changed. i really dont get it. please help

manuelb41599270​ ... you can't say "same here" and then describe a different problem (very flat photos). Please start a new thread, explain your problem in detail, and then show us an example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And as I said, the system default monitor profile (which is what the application loads and uses) has to describe the monitor's actual response.

If the monitor is set to full native gamut, you use the corresponding profile. If the monitor is set to sRGB emulation, you need to use a different profile reflecting that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

I've been playing around now with setting the OS with the right profile and finding the matching one on my monitor.

Maybe that's why my first calibration attempt looked off. Finding the native gamut off my monitor is not do easy as I thought.

I'll let you know if it all works again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The important thing to remember when using a hardware device to calibrate and profile your monitor is that, once you produce the profile, you must leave the monitor controls set the same way as they were when you made the profile.

If you change the monitor settings then a new profile is required.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you all for the help. I've been playing around with the color profiles of my monitor and making sure the same one is set into my OS. It's still not looking as it should but it gets better and better. I'm confident I'm on the right path now. This color management is much more complicated then I would have thought.

Thank you!

Paula

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paula

It is actually simpler than you think - all the heavy work is done by the system , behind the scenes.

All you need is :

1. A profile that  describes your monitor. Don't pick a profile then try and change the monitor settings. Do it the other way round. Set your monitor and make your profile. The calibration and profiling software will normally install that profile in your operating system for you.

2. If you are printing, a profile that describes your printer and paper combination. Again the important point is that the printer be set up exactly as it was when the profile was made. These profiles can usually be downloaded from the printer/papaer manufacturers sites.

3. Photoshop set up to Preserve embedded profiles.

Job done.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Dave,

I have one last question about the color settings in Adobe. I've calibrated my monitor. So when I go to color settings in Photoshop, do I choose this profile for the RGB or do I leave it the way it was? It's now on sRGB and my monitor uses the calibrated profile.

Regards Paula

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Paula - Leave the Photoshop colour setting on the document profile (whether that be sRGB or Adobe RGB). Also as that only applies to "New" documents , make sure that Preserve Embedded Profiles is also checked.  That means that Photoshop will the profile embedded in any document it opens.

As long as the calibrated monitor profile has been loaded in the operating system (Mac or Windows) then the conversion of colours between the two all happens in the background.

A long way of saying "leave it the way it was"

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a shorter one: Don't do anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both!

That doesn't sound to difficult 🙂

Finally everything is set to my satisfaction, so I'm happily editing my photo's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines