• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I add a second account to Adobe Digital Editions

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2013 Oct 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two adobe reader accounts. One for my family one for personnel use. The computer has my personnel account on it. I want to add the family account to add books to my wifes nook. Can not seem to find out how to do that

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2013 Oct 26, 2013

Hi manobird,

If you used one ID to install ADE, you cannot download an ebook from a site into ADE if you used a different ID.  That's the way the Digital

Millenium Copyright Act of 2000 was implemented to prevent unauthorized copying of ematerials.  ADE tells you that in its HELP section.  You can't add a second ID to ADE either, for the same reason.

What you CAN do is to change users, and authorize ADE with the same ID you used when you downloaded the ebook.  You do this by bringing ADE up, then u

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2013 Oct 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi manobird,

If you used one ID to install ADE, you cannot download an ebook from a site into ADE if you used a different ID.  That's the way the Digital

Millenium Copyright Act of 2000 was implemented to prevent unauthorized copying of ematerials.  ADE tells you that in its HELP section.  You can't add a second ID to ADE either, for the same reason.

What you CAN do is to change users, and authorize ADE with the same ID you used when you downloaded the ebook.  You do this by bringing ADE up, then using the CNTLSHIFTD key combination, you will deauthorize ADE.  Close ADE and reopen it, and ADE should ask you to authorize it.  At this point, you can enter the second ID, and ADE will take off from there.  BUT, keep in mind that any other ebooks you downloaded into ADE with the first ID will not be accessible until you go through the same process again and revert to the first ID.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i enter the password into Adobe Digital Editions it says, "Unable to erase Authorization. Please try after some time." I have waited and tried and again, but the same problem keeps on coming up and I am not sure why. Can someone please help me please?
Thanks.     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When that happens, it is very easy to "manually" deauthorize the PC by deleting a registry key.
Close ADE. Open the registry editor REGEDIT, go to the key
     Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\

You see a key named

Adept.

Delete that key (eg by right clicking and then choosing delete).

Open ADE and it will ask to authorize it.

I had the same problem when I cloned the SSD-disk of my PC to a larger version. After the first boot with the new disk ADE shouted "Error! Check Activation." Upon trying to deauthorize it, it shouted "Unable to erase Authorization. Please try after some time." So I went looking around in the registry and I found that key, containg a Device subkey. Having a perfect backup of my PC --the old SSD-- I went ahead and just deleted the Adept key. When opening ADE, it neately allowed me to authorize again with my ID. The registry contained a brandnew Adept key.
I guess I could have avoided this by deauthorizing before cloning the disk 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great reason to avoid anything with this DRM business. I've accidentally complicated my life in this way and now deeply regret. An utterly stupid and painful tech designed to make people hate Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a useful answer, which I appreciate. But this implementation of DRM is monumentally short-sighted. Literally everyone with a white collar job has a work email and a personal email. It makes sense to license personal books for the personal account and work-related materials for the work account. But to hide this functionality so deeply within Adobe Digital Editions that one cannot even RUN the latest version if you're an Adobe work accout user trying to read a book you just bought from your personal account is shockingly bad User Experience design. To make this extremely common use case so unsolvable that a person has go searching in the forums and be exceptionally persistent and tech-savvy to even figure it out? Irresponsible to the customers and shareholders of Adobe.

Google has done a MUCH better job with this use case. On my Android phone, I have 2 different accounts, each with their own profiles. Each with their own contacts, email account, cloud storage, etc. To switch between these two accounts is just a tap of the finger on my profile picture. Once I've switched profiles, I see all the material related to that account. 

When Adobe brings up an "unauthorized" label, they know two things: the email address of the currently signed in user, and the email address of the user the content is "owned" by. It would be a simple matter to ask the user to sign into the correct account to access the content.

It's not the law that's preventing Adobe from solving this problem in a similarly elegant way, it's something else. Organizational dysfunction? Lack of leadership? Letting lawyers do UI design? Perhaps all three. But it's not a legal or techincal problem. it's a design issue.

Fix this, you people!
|
Figure this out, people, it's a terrible implementation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite right. It's always best to buy your books without DRM (much like
paper books used to be). Second preference is more flexible DRM.

Either way, DRM is always to be avoided, as are companies that push it:
Amazon, Adobe, you name it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines