Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The security setting for restrict editing PDF does not seem to be consistent

Contributor ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I changed Security Setting for restricting editing/printing along with password to open using Adobe Acrobat DC (I used the protect tool for restrict editing then went to file properties, then security tab)

but it seemed erratic once i set both password in my testing...sometimes I opened the file with the correct password then tried to Edit the PDF and it DID NOT ASK ME FOR THE OTHER edit restrict password and allowed me to edit the PDF..

so I cleared out both passwords (to open the file and to restrict editing) and reset them again and now it works fine...but I am not 100% confident in the security setting...have you heard of this before or do you think i just made an error in setting the security commands?

thanks very much for any help.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

You probably got confused and opened the document using the File Edit ("permissions") password.

If you do that it will not only open the file but will also allow you to edit it, without having to remove the policy.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

craigb36097816  wrote

but it seemed erratic once i set both password in my testing...sometimes I opened the file with the correct password then tried to Edit the PDF and it DID NOT ASK ME FOR THE OTHER edit restrict password and allowed me to edit the PDF..

Did you use the open or the permission password?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i used both open and permissions passwords

thanks

C. Brody Associates

Microsoft Office Training/Consulting/Programming

cell: 267-872-7410

email: cbrody@outlook.com<mailto:cbrody@outlook.com>

web: www.cbrodyassociates.com<http://www.cbrodyassociates.com/>

linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/craigbrody

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open the document you can use one password only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me clarify to explain my question better

I set 2 separate passwords in one PDF; one for opening the PDF and the other for Restricting Editing of it.

then i tested both by pretending i was the recipient of the file that was protected...i did this to make sure the PDF was secure.

so I opened the file using the password for opening and it worked fine.. e.g. it opened when I entered the correct open password and did not open when I entered an incorrect open password.

Then I wanted to test the separate restrict editing password so I first opened the document using the correct "open" password,  Then I clicked the Edit PDF tool but I was not prompted for the Restrict editing password and therefore i was able to edit the PDF and wondered why??   have you ever encountered that?  I save the file I thought before I test it.

so what i did to perhaps fix this is take off both passwords, then set them all over again and now it works ok...BUT the fact that it did not work earlier in terms of restrict editing makes me less than 100% confident in the restrict editing protection feature...are you 100% confident in it working all the time?  Perhaps i did something wrong? 

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you open the document with the permission password?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

regarding your note below, do you work for Adobe?

is there someone at Adobe who can clarify this or some article or resource that i can read more on?

how can i get more information on this from Adobe directly?

thanks

The security setting for restrict editing PDF does not seem to be consistent

created by Bernd Alheit in Acrobat General Troubleshooting - View the full discussion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not Adobe tech support. Here you hear from fellow users mostly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the document with the permission password and activate Tools > Edit PDF. Then you can change the document.

The usage of the passwords is specified in the ISO 32000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably got confused and opened the document using the File Edit ("permissions") password.

If you do that it will not only open the file but will also allow you to edit it, without having to remove the policy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines