Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Split Indesign document into single files

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2012 Feb 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I am currently working on a magazine in Indesign. The client wants every article of the magazine supplied in an individual folder (linked to all fonts and images used in the article, plus a PDF and an idml file in that same folder). So up until now I had one Indesign document, manually split that up into a single Indesign file for each article, then used the Package option for each article. Then opend each article saved them as a PDF and then as an idml file. As this is very time consuming, I am now trying to find a more efficent way of doing all of these steps. Any ideas?

Greatful for any help. Thanks!

Sophie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

It is a bit of an old post but I'll post an answer here in case someone is still looking for it. I have a script that does what the OP asks for and if you are interested in it, I'd be glad to send it to you.

img1.png img2.png img3.png img4.png

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite as easy as it sounds especially if you have threaded text. I suppose something like this can be scripted (though not by me <g>) but if it was not part of the original agreement I would certainly not be shy about giving the client a price for this additional work.

As far as actually doing this, I would create a new file and use the move pages command from the pages panel menu to move the pages to the new file. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob,

Unfortunately it was part of the original agreement with the client, so it has to be done. Yeah I thought that ther is no way around this acutally ... Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might take some of the work out of it

http://indesignsecrets.com/free-script-splits-long-indesign-files.php

I agree with what Bob said about additional charges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the script already, but  it didn't work for my cs5.5 or I maybe I just did something wrong, anyway, didn't work. ah well. Thanks as well Eugene!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post over in the Scripting Forum - someone maybe able to get it working for you.

Or you could try this.

http://indesignsecrets.com/get-your-old-scripts-running-again-with-make-it-run.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cool. thanks, will try that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a bit of an old post but I'll post an answer here in case someone is still looking for it. I have a script that does what the OP asks for and if you are interested in it, I'd be glad to send it to you.

img1.png img2.png img3.png img4.png

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you get the document splitter from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created it. If you need it, tell me where to send it to.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2016 Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like the script if you are still offering it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can  you send it to [Email address removed by moderator. Please do not post personal info in the public forum. Use private message]

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I was just searching for this too and could use it – please could you send to [Email address removed by moderator. Please do not post personal info in the public forum. Use private message]

Really kind of you to send this to people who need it, it's much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

If your script is still available, could you send it to me: [email address removed by Mod]

Much appreciated!

Petteri

ps/edit: moderator removed my email address, I´m a little bit confused since other posters have added their email addresses earlier, I try to add it by using add link tool if that works out better.

[Email address removed by moderator. Please do not post personal info in the public forum. Use private message]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm two years late, but is it possible to have the document splitter sent to me as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's unlikely the person who wrote the script will read your message. Send a personal message as described in the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2019 Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

May I ask you to send me your script, too? - I am working on a book (non-profit, that's in the area of adult education), and Indesign starts getting very slow with it. I would need a comfortable solution for splitting, especially as I have to share parts with colleagues in various countries.

Here is my address: chgeiselmann[AT]web.de

Thank you very much!
Kind regards,

Christian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael -

If this script is still available I would also like a copy, I have 70+ pages to split out individually and your splitter looks like a big help.

I'm running a current Mac Pro, Current Sierra OS and Current IDCC17.

Best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

Your script looks like it could help a couple of my designers out of a pickle. I sent you a DAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ä°s it free?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send it to me please ? My mail adres is  [Email address removed by moderator. Please do not post personal info in the public forum. Use private message]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi biozaichenko!

I was doing a search for this issue and found this thread. Can you send me the script, too? Much appreciated. [Email address removed by moderator. Please do not post personal info in the public forum. Use private message]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm interested in testing your script as well. Please send to  [Email address removed by moderator. Please do not post personal info in the public forum. Use private message]

Thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Can you send me your script as well? Would be very useful,

My email: [Email address removed by moderator. Please do not post personal info in the public forum. Use private message]

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines