• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you add metadata information to a psd file in Bridge?

Participant ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im using Bridge 8.1.0.383 on a mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that is what Bridge is for but in this particular case, the pencils are missing and the option to add my metadata template or edit any metadata are grayed out.  It is available with all other files.  But not the PSD files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the PSD files located in the same or similar location as the other files?

Try resetting your preferences If all else fails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The psd files are located in a separate folder containing only psd files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try moving one PSD into a folder that contains images that can have metadata added. This will help to rule out if you have a permissions issue on the folder in question.

Also try resaving a copy of the PSD, or resaving a copy as a TIFF (with layers if required) and then saving again as PSD to see if this “clears out any junk”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I saved the file as a tif with layers and it showed all the metadata info. Can I ask a stupid question?  What is the difference between a layered tiff's and a psd with layers? I then resaved as a psd and my metadata info appeared?  Do I lose any of the properties of a psd file when I save as tiff and then resave as psd?  If you see the image icon in bridge as a psd icon and not a thumbnail of the actual image is there a problem or is this normal?  the layered tiff also appeared as the tif icon instead of a thumbnail of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like an issue in your PSD file/s.

Does updating in file>file info lead to a different result or different messages?

What about using a metadata template?

Can you confirm that other PSD or PSB files accept metadata updates?

When resaving as TIFF,  then PSD, does the file accept metadata? Don’t add metadata to the TIFF, this is just an intermediate troubleshooting step to see if it cleans the source fille.

Edit: for some this can turn into a religious debate almost as bad as Mac vs. Win. If you search various Adobe and other forums there is a lot of opinion and info.

TIFF vs PSD

psd or tiff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I save it as a tif I see the metadata that was added in LR.  From then on the copyright metadata appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a problem with the PSD…

Taking the PSD through TIFF “cleans” the file from a metadata perspective (apart from anything else that may be lost in the TIFF format that was in the PSD).

Can you try saving the PSD as PSB “large document format” and see what happens when opening and resaving as PSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did you try saving the tiff to another psd (do not overwrite the original one.

I'm wondering if I should ping a bridge engineer to check the file.

BTW, did you check for the file info for the files in Photoshop? File>file info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did save the converted tif to a psd and that also retained the metadata information.  I did add the metadata in PS under file info, but when you look in Bridge after saving that, it doesn't show any metadata.  I'm can share the file if you'd like to see it but it is really big. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, please make sure to give all relevant information in your first post.

Was the file created by Photoshop? (other apps can create PSDs)

Did you try to clear the cache for that folder? (Tools>Cache>Purge cache for XYZ folder)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the psd files was created as a file in LR that was edited in PS by opening from LR directly into PS.  The other was created in PS. I have cleared the cache for this folder and reset preferences without any success.  When I try to do anything to the metadata I get a 'the property cannot be modified' message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all properties can be changed. And if you have the file locked or open in another program, you may not be able to make changes.

What are you trying to edit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually just trying to add in my copyright information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines