• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Folders Displayed in LR Don't Match Finder

Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to restructure  folder locations of some pictures in a catalog. However, when trying to identify the location to which I will be moving selected images, the destination folder won't display in the Navigator panel. The folders/subfolder are there in Finder, but not in LR. How can I display these 'missing' folders? Images of the Navigator panel and of the Finder are attached. I want to be able to move images in the Africa-2018 folder to a different folder - in this case a subfolder of the Lightroom folder seen in the Finder. Any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 6.00.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-09-10 at 6.01.23 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Put ONE DUMMY photo is the folder you want to move the files to and import that photo.   Then move the files from the Africa folder to the folder that now shows in Lightroom.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The directions on how to import a folder into Lightroom are well described here: How to transfer photos from a hard drive folder to Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As implied in the text of my post, I do know how to import images and how to move images between photos. The question I asked - and repeat - is how to get LR to DISPLAY the folder structure that exists on my computer. Without that accurate display, one cannot follow the procedure to move the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Minimize the Lightroom Window and drag the missing folder from your explorer window into Lightroom's library module. That will start the import process and as long as the images aren't already in your catalog you'll be able to add the folders to your catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put ONE DUMMY photo is the folder you want to move the files to and import that photo.   Then move the files from the Africa folder to the folder that now shows in Lightroom.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Bob Somrak & F. McLion. Your responses (concise & clear) resolved my issue and I'm now set up to move my image files.

Never having wanted to move image files before, I never appreciated that LR only shows folders in which imported images are located. I guess that could have been inferred from How to create and manage folders in Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC  which is referenced from How to manage photos within folders in Lightroom Classic CC but, in fact, the "create and manage" page doesn't really describe how to "create" a folder - one more difficulty with what I regard as poor Adobe documentation for its products. Thank goodness for the forums.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.. additional information: LR always only shows folders that it has pictures imported from.

As Bob suggested, add a dummy and the synchronize the picture folder for instance ...

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines