• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop always prompts me with a Save As dialog when saving

Contributor ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My department have recently installed the latest version of Photoshop CC and I've got a frustrating problem that I can't solve.

I create a new file, do a few things then save it as normal as a .psd file. Do a few more things then Save using the standard Command S on my Mac, instead of saving transparently it always brings up the Save As dialogue. So annoying! I don't need this dialogue always popping up on a normal Save.

I've deleted the preferences at startup and it seems to work for one save then it's back to Save As.

I thought it was my Default Folder app doing something behind the scenes but turning it off has no effect, it still throws up the dialogue.

Has anyone had this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Are you sure it is a PSD file you are opening and not a JPG?

Also what size is the file? IIRC once a file get to be a certain size it can't be saved as a PSD anymore and has to be saved as a PSB file (I never work with files large enough for that to happen).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you go to the File Menu, or what/where ever it is on a Mac, and then select Save? Does the Save As dialog still come up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's strange. Selecting Save from the File Menu works once fine after I've opened the file, then if I do it again it brings up the Save As dialogue.

Also I thought it was my keyboard shortcuts too but they don't stop it from happening either. Baffling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure it is a PSD file you are opening and not a JPG?

Also what size is the file? IIRC once a file get to be a certain size it can't be saved as a PSD anymore and has to be saved as a PSB file (I never work with files large enough for that to happen).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it, thank you.

It's a big file with many layers and I'd just gone over the threshold of what the .psd format could manage.

.psb's the answer.

Everything's fine with the world

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another question here guys. What's the file limit for a .psd file format in CC 2017, is it still 2GB before you get a warning?

At the moment my file is 151MB and it throws up the Save As dialogue whereas the .psb format just saves transparently as I want. Surely .psd should handle a file that size? I went back to CS6 to test it and it saves no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my search the PSD file size is still 2GBs. But you say the file size is 151MB. Where are you seeing that file size, in PS or your File Manager program?

The file size on disk is the original file. After you make changes to that file in PS it will grow in size and not show up in the File Manager until it is saved. If it grows to beyond the 2GB limit the Save As dialog will come up to save it as a PSB file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Size is from the Finder on a Mac. I'm aware of how much a Photoshop's temporary memory balloons behind the scenes but is there a reason why CS6 doesn't have a problem with saves and CC does?

Normally if the saved file size is within .psd's saving limits it should just save without problem and always has. It's just annoying saving to .psb whilst working and saving back to .psd when saving.

I guess when my colleagues get CC on their Macs and try it too then I'll know whether it's just me with the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked/changed your keyboard shortcuts.  I don't do Mac but in windows its under the Edit menu.  I think it's in the Photoshop tab on a Mac.

Jeremy Whigham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well my colleague has just installed CC and his save works fine. Even more baffling is that it allows me to make one change and save normally before reverting to the Save As dialogue box thereafter.

For reference saving a layered .tif works fine as does a .psb format, how can .psd be the only problem? The file is definitely not too big either.

Maybe Photoshop needs removing and reinstalling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen with every PSD file you open?

What edits are you doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much every .psd is affected, and my edits are as simple as nudging a layer or a bit of healing tool work.

Yesterday as a test I tried copying and pasting the layers into a new file and this time it saved no problem so I have no idea what's going on here.

That doesn't work for every instance though, tried that again today and it didn't work, the Save As comes up again.

Who knows, sometimes a rogue font creates havoc in the background even if you don't use the text feature. Maybe that's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues and the file size is only 69m and only 1 layer. It only started when I got a mew Mac and installed PS CC which I had the same version on my older Mac and never had this issue. All preferences are the same between both machines.

Did you ever get a resolution to the issue>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I never did get a resolution. I have a feeling that uninstalling Photoshop and reinstalling my be the answer but because it's in a work environment with an IT department to deal with, it's a bit tricky when it 99.9% works. it's the 0.1% that drives me nuts! My work around is to save the file as layered tiffs or .psbs, they are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having some luck but not consistently, with clicking OFF the embed color profile in the Save As window. Again, not always. Thanks for the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Sometimes when I'm saving a psd, the save function works normal, but I may start a new document a few minutes later, and the file wants to save as every time I need to save. It's like the computer forgot I just saved it a minute ago. The real annoyance is that the window pops up to save as, then I have to tell it it's ok to replace the old file. If I didn't want to write over the existing file I would have hit command shift S.

Really love to hear if someone finds a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that if I save the .psd file to an external drive, in my case a USB SSD, it doesn't happen and saves normally without the dialogue appearing. I'm wondering if my main Mac drive, which is formatted APFS, is causing the problem but I'd have to reformat my drive to find out. That's not feasible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same issue and have been wondering if it has to do with APFS. When I save to the network drive at work Command-S works as it should but when I save to my SSD locally I have the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is sounding similar to me as well. I have an APFS SSD and several

externals. I haven't tested saving PSDs to those recently, but I think we

must be on to something. Perhaps Adobe staffers would have insight to what

has changed in the most recent updates.

Nick

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 7:56 PM Brendan Ringer <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got solution on this go to Edit - preferences - File Handling - in JPEG and TIFF Handling - change setting - Automatically open all support jpeg to Automatically open JPEGs with setting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same issue with some files. And my settings are already as you outlined. File size is 4.7 MB. 

Frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines