• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I unlink text boxes?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a file created by someone else who linked every single text box in a 40 page document. So editing a paragraph or image on page 5 affects the placement of text on page 30. When I try to unlink them all of the text disappears.

Is there a way to unlink all of the boxes without losing content?

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Try the built-in javascript in the Scripts panel called SplitStory.jsx.

Here is some more info:

https://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-split-long-story-into-smaller-pieces-unthreading-middle-story.php

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the book contains running text, it is normally a good idea to have all text frames linked, as in your file. And indeed, when making changes, one must be aware of how any changes can cause reflow, and fix things up accordingly.

However, if the text on each page really need not be connected to the next page, and you're sure you want to break the threads between the pages, there is a script that comes installed with InDesign called "Break Frame.jsx" which will do what you want. But even here, some reflow could happen, and some text could disappear (depending on the specifics of your layout), so use with caution.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just text. There are floating images throughout, along with tables, call outs, etc. Formatting is a mess so I'm just trying to tighten it up. I'll try the script option. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i.a.n. ,

if you try the script do a backup of the document first so that you can go easily back if something goes wrong.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the built-in javascript in the Scripts panel called SplitStory.jsx.

Here is some more info:

https://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-split-long-story-into-smaller-pieces-unthreading-middle-story.php

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That did the trick. Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines