11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2018 2:24 PM by srishtib8795206

Unable to Link to PDFs using Publish Online on Chrome Browser

hlane2

I have an interactive pdf with animation (created within InDesign), internal (page to page) links, and external links. Everything on Publish Online works well on Chrome except for all links that go directly to a url ending with .pdf. As a work around, we created new web pages that had download buttons to the .pdf files. These links will work in Publish Online, but when click the download pdf button on the page, the .pdf page will never load. You can copy the offending url into another tab, and PRESTO! it works.

Testing the link inside InDesign (using go to destination) links to the new web pages allows you to successfully click the download pdf button, but once the interactive pdf is uploaded to Publish Online, the download buttons do not work.

Is there another workaround we could try? Again, this is only on Chrome but most of our clientele uses Chrome.

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Unable to Link to PDFs using Publish Online on Chrome Browser
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Publish Online is NOT PDF. It is HTML.

• 2. Re: Unable to Link to PDFs using Publish Online on Chrome Browser
            hlane2 Level 1

Is there a way to correct the HTML issue?

• 3. Re: Unable to Link to PDFs using Publish Online on Chrome Browser
              chuckdes29

did you ever get this problem resolved? if so, how? same problem here.

thank you!

• 4. Re: Unable to Link to PDFs using Publish Online on Chrome Browser
                hlane2 Level 1

No. Sadly, as you can see from the above BobLevine was less than helpful. We had to use the digital publishing site Joomag in order to have all the functionality we needed. It's worked well so far, all besides the annoyance of having to rebuild the entire pdf in the Joomag software.

• 5. Re: Unable to Link to PDFs using Publish Online on Chrome Browser
                  Frans van der Geest (ACP) Adobe Community Professional

As Bob pointed out, you mention interactive PDF as well as Publish Online. This is confusing because they are two seperate things: Publish online is HTML5 and has nothing to do with iPDF.

But, if you link (hyperlink) to a PDF and want that to be displayed in your browser window (just lik any other www hyperlink) please realize  it depends on the browser,  as well as maybe installed plug-ins/extensions for that specific webbrowser you are using, if it will be displayed in a window or will be downloaded etc.

InDesign just creates the hyperlink for you. And yes, Firefox, Safari, IE and Google Chrome may behave differently and may also differ from user to user in the same brwoser depending in extra installed extensions, plug-ins etc.

That is just the way it is...

• 6. Re: Unable to Link to PDFs using Publish Online on Chrome Browser
                    donnar53932412

A similar disaster happened to me. I created an invitation with InDesign and published it online with a link to a URL that enabled purchase of tickets. hyperlink to the URL works but none of the functions on the URL will work if linked to from the indesign document. For example I hyperlinked to a form with a PayPal button. The PayPal button works if you go directly to the URL with the button but it will not work if you link to it from the indesign online document. It wouldn't work on PCs or iphones. Finally I had to unlink the form and just included text to request that visitors go to the web page to buy tickets. I'm sure I'm losing money. But the email blast is already distributed so there's nothing I can do.

• 7. Re: Unable to Link to PDFs using Publish Online on Chrome Browser
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I assume you’re referring to PDF form that you expect people to read in a browser? If that’s the case, that’s a big mistake.

Interactive PDFs, beyond Acrobat or Acrobat Reader is nothing short of a crapshoot. You should probably rethink the whole thing in the future if you can’t control how the PDF is viewed.

If you had come here first or done some reading about this, you’d have known. As it is, you’ve done all you can to fix it.

• 8. Re: Unable to Link to PDFs using Publish Online on Chrome Browser
                        donnar53932412 Level 1

Hmm. Well I'm not sure this is what I'm referring to but you are right I wish I'd have known there were problems with online  publishing in Indesign.

logically I just don't understand the difference of going directly to a URL from a browser and linking to the exact same URL from the document. If it lands on the exact same URL what's the difference? How can the PDF disable the functionality on the webpage? I thought perhaps there was something set up incorrectly in Indesign.  But it appears that it's just a bug that no one has figured out yet.

Would be a a great function if it worked. Hopefully one day it will.

• 9. Re: Unable to Link to PDFs using Publish Online on Chrome Browser
                          vannie429 Level 1

I'm experiencing the same exact issue. I sent out a large email with a link to a web-published in design creation I'd made. I originally tried to make it into a pdf, but I had quite a bit of animation happening, and the best way I could get the animation to perform how I wanted it to was to publish online. Anyway, it, too, linked to a donation page on paypal. And also to a web site where recipients can buy tickets.

Like you said, the money processing doesn't work when you follow the link directly. (Paypal took a while and was slow, but I was able to get payments through with it. Not so on the ticket sales site, though)

If you right click on the link button in the document, and select "open link" via right clicking, as opposed to left clicking, then it works just fine.

It has something to do with the cookies. But I'm a novice when it comes to HTML and this whole realm in general, so forgive the crude way I try and wrap my head around it.... but I'm trying to find a solution at the moment too....

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Unable to Link to PDFs using Publish Online on Chrome Browser
                            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

vannie429  wrote

…If you right click on the link button in the document, and select "open link" via right clicking, as opposed to left clicking, then it works just fine.

It has something to do with the cookies. But I'm a novice when it comes to HTML and this whole realm in general, so forgive the crude way I try and wrap my head around it.... but I'm trying to find a solution at the moment too....

Hi vannie429 ,

good observation. Don't know if that ever can be fixed on the Adobe side.

Regards,
                            Uwe

• 11. Re: Unable to Link to PDFs using Publish Online on Chrome Browser
                              srishtib8795206 Adobe Employee

Hi Vannie,

Thanks for sharing your observation. I would request if you can share this on our Adobe InDesign Feedback form and share the link here. This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Thanks,

Srishti