Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files in books need an "ignore" flag for TOCs

Participant ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac ID CC 13.1

I have a book with a bunch of files but some are not complete, and of course, the TOC picks them up. To leave them out, either I must (a) build a TOC and delete the entries; (b) remove the files, build the TOC, then add them back, or (c) make a separate book. All files start at page 1, so numbering isn't an issue. My suggestion is to have a flag that would tell the TOC to ignore individual files . . . unless it's there and I'm missing it. . . .

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "files that are not complete", be more specific.

What I imagine is that the TOC is picking up anything tagged with Head1, Head2, and Head3 and you have empty paragraphs or placeholder paragraphs that it is picking up.

If it were me, I would keep my eye on the completed document. Empty paragraphs would get retagged. Placeholder paragraphs would stay in place because they will be replaced with real text.

Is this correct? Otherwise, explain what you mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No empty paragraphs. It's a file that is just like the rest of the book, with full content and everything properly tagged -- it's just not completely "done" done. Some are as simple as it's nothing more than the author saying, "this one has been reviewed, now include this one," and now your book of 17 chapters now has 18. I just want to tell the book not to include certain files in the TOC. Heck, they could even be done -- I just want to ignore them in the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you spend a lot of time removing them from the TOC, remember it may take more time than that to put them back!

Here's what I can think of:

• Remove the chapters from the current book. Add them back in when finished.

• Create a second book — one complete and one not, but this gets messy.

• Create a second style such as "Head1-no TOC", etc. When the chapter is finished, Delete the style from the chapter and replace it with "Head1"

• Leave everything along, as it will work out in the end. This is what I would actually do if it were my choice, but it's not. The first three require that you remember what you did, so take notes that you can refer back to.

Will any of these work for you? Maybe others will have more ideas as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my mind's eye, what I would really like is greater control of files in a book. For example, not just a list -- more of a project approach. Imagine a wider list with not just the files, but for instance, a column for notes ("make sure to fix graphic on p12", or "gotta be done by Wednesday"), and of course radio buttons for "include or not in TOC".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi tlmurray,

For possible changes to the software, post to User Voice where the engineers will see it:

Adobe InDesign Feedback

Maybe a button that "quiets" the document while leaving it in place would be the solution? You could enable the document when you need to work on it and disable it so it does not work for TOC and Index and page numbers. When you sync styles, swatches, etc., you could enable them with a click. The book feature does more than TOC, and I don't know if TOC could be isolated out from the others. But I'm not an engineer. It could cause more problems than it solves if the styles don't sync, for example.

For the project, what I do is create an overall project folder. Inside I have folders for notes, original files, backups, and the all important working file, with subfolders in that. I think most people would want the project management outside of the book feature, and there is separate software dedicated to that, such as Microsoft Project.

But you don't have to agree with me! Just post to User Voice and make your case to the engineers. They make the final decision. Others can vote and you can track your progress.

I hope others join in here and give their thoughts as well.

Best,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines