• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dodging the highlights

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to get similar functionality as in photoshop and be able to dodge highlights in light-room through local adjustment.

What i noticed that highlights barely change even with the highlights slider set to 100%.

Is this normal?

Attached the photo of the mask and before and after.

before.png

mask.png

after.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I'm seeing on my monitor, there aren't really any highlights to suppress in that area to make much difference even with the slider set at -100. I wouldn't expect to see much change. Now if you changed the exposure slider that would be a different story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, but with photoshop when you dodge highlights there is a difference.

Not sure if same would be accomplished if you dodge mid-tones instead.

But burning mid-tones and dodging highlights i get can a very nice effect in photoshop.

I used a little bit of clarity in lightroom to get a similar effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't comment on why there is that difference when using Photoshop. But that is why Photoshop is such a good companion for Lightroom. There are just some things that are more easily done using Photoshop. When that is the case, use Photoshop. Someone who is more technically oriented can probably give you a better answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

blwegrzyn  wrote

I agree, but with photoshop when you dodge highlights there is a difference.

Not sure if same would be accomplished if you dodge mid-tones instead.

But burning mid-tones and dodging highlights i get can a very nice effect in photoshop.

I used a little bit of clarity in lightroom to get a similar effect.

With Clarity, you are enhancing mid-tone contrast, ie simultaneously dodging highlights and burning shadows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines