Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple conditional build tags

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2009 Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,
I have a problem with using multiple conditional build tags in my help project (RoboHelp 7 HTML).

A, B, C, D tags are used in this project for project files (in Project Manager tab), for the topics in TOC, and for the text in topics.

1. The topic '1' must be included into the A and B help files. The A and B tags are applied to this topic in the Project Manager and in the TOC. But when the HTML help is generated for the A tag included, and the rest topics excluded, it doesn't contain the topic '1'.
2. Some text in the topic '2' is marked with D and C tags (topic '2' itself doesn't have any tags applied). When generate the output help file for D or C tag, it does'nt contain this text. It works only if discard one of the tags, and generate help for the tag that was left as applied.

I could not find an answer either in the Robohelp help or on this forum. I have the impression that I use the functionality incorectly or may be multiple tags don't work in RoboHelp 7..
Have you ever encountered with this problem?

Regards,
Olga

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Olga.

You can use multiple tags so this isn't the problem. My first question is whether the tags are needed on the TOC. If all you are trying to do is include topics you'd only need to apply these to the topic or its text.

For "topic 2", can you tell us what build tag expression you are using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum, thanks for the response!

I removed tags for topic from the TOC, but it still doesn't work - the topic is absent in help file (generated for Online tag, see graphics below), despite that the Online tag is applied to this topic in Project Manager.

Please, view the pictures below, may be it will be easier to undestand and help me :)

Image 1. Multiple tags for topics and text in Test Project
Image 2. Settings for HTML Layout (Conditional Build Expression)
Image 3. The output help file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Olga.

With the settings in your images what you will do is exclude all topics where the "Print" tag has been applied and then exclude the text from the remaining topics where the "Print" tag has been applied. So if you have two tags applied (one of which is being exlcuded) it will not appear in the output.

Rick Stone has an article on using build tags which explains things well. Click here to read it. It was written before the days when you could apply tags to TOCs but the premise is still the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Olga said:

The topic '1' must be included into the A and B help files. The A and B tags are applied to this topic in the Project Manager and in the TOC. But when the HTML help is generated for the A tag included, and the rest topics excluded, it doesn't contain the topic '1'.

When you generate the A-tagged output, don't exclude anything. Just set up RoboHelp to include A. It will include all text/topics that include the A tag and any untagged text/topics. If you define your build tag expression to include certain tags and exclude other tags, it will get rid of the excluded tags first. So your A-tagged output expression should simply read "A."

The same approach will probably solve your second problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Column, ChetZeshonski,
Thanks a lot for your answers!

I read the article written by Rick Stone's. I was confused to learn that conditional build tags functionality in RoboHelp can not be used in way I thought and desired.
Thus, to solve the problem, I should duplicate the topics and tag the first copy with 'A' tag, and the second copy with 'B' tag (or 'C' and 'D' tags for text according to examples in my starting post).... This will not make my task easier... :(

BTW, does Adobe corporation has an issue tracking system for bugs/feature requests, that is opened for customers and Adobe users (for example like the Atlassian JIRA) ?

Regards,
Olga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Olga,

Hopefully you will have seen ChetZeshonski post which outlines what to try next and which provides some other answers to your question. This approach would do away with having to maintain different copies of the same topic. The whole reason for conditional build tags is to do away with such an approach.

As far as issue tracking is concerned, you are emailed a receipt of any bug/feature request you make and they should contact you when progress has been made with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ChetZeshonski,
I tried to do what you said and... oh miracle, it works :)

Thanks!
Olga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should contact you maybe. Will contact you, don't hold your breath.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ability of using the "Advanced Conditional Build Tag Expression" is not so simple and clear for the RoboHelp user as it may looks.

By default, if I select "tag1" by Move Left button and deselect other tags by Move Right arrow in Define CBT Expression dialog box, and indicate which topics must be available and which ones must be excluded, the Expression is written like: "NOT tag2 NOT tag3 ... NOT tagn". But in case when it is written as: "tag1" it works such as I want 🙂
So, I should always edit the expression manually in order to generate correct help.

Frankly speaking, I think it would be more logical if RoboHelp developers could write the default Expression without 'NOT' operator, I mean to show tags that are selected as available, not excluded from the output help.

Regards,
Olga

P.S.: I'm getting clever and clever, and feeling as real RoboHelp expert thanks to your answers! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 24, 2009 Mar 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You're welcome, Olga. Conditional build tag expressions aren't as easy to create as they appear at first glance, but a little trial and error will help you a lot. It certainly helped me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp