• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR CC 7.5 Poor Performance Moving Images

Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First up: I have performed all of the steps in here (NB: Fresh install of LR CC on machine).
Machine Specs:
AMD TR4 1950x,

32GB Quad Channel RAM,
Intel 600P m.2 x2 RAID 1 as main disk with additional m.2 SSD's acting as caches.
Running Windows 10 Pro v.10.0.17134.

So, the machine is no slouch.

Problem:
Moving photos around on the main disk takes considerably longer time that expected.

Disk monitor shows approximately 2-11MB/s of activity for LR (with no other significant programs running).

Photos have been imported as 12 bit Compressed RAW+JPEGS from a pair of Nikon D500's.

Photos imported with only embedded & sidecar previews. No smart previews are generated.

Lightroom catalog size: 6.36GB

Lightroom catalog images: Approx. 315,000

LR has 30GB set for Cache on separate SSD

What's going on Adobe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just some thoughts outside the box.

a. Move is a multi function. First copy to the new location on HDD confirm the operation, then remove the files from the original.

b. When you are moving a large volume of files it requires a lot of HDD space.

c. Ensure you have lots of free disk space on the HDDs involved at least 25% of the drive capacity.

d. If you are moving from an internal drive to an external via usb cable the the performance will controlled by the weakest link in the operation, most likely the usb cable.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have plenty of free hard drive space (more than 50% free on the main SSDs and around 65% free on the cache SSD's).

No external copying is taking place - I am simply moving the files into separate folders within the same volume.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't do the move within Lightroom.

Instead, do the move with your operating system, then reconnect the photos inside of Lightroom to their new location, instructions are here: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came to a similar thought that I should just do that.

It does however mean matching the catalog with the new location of the images once done, which is inconvenient if I am to set and forget aka leave the computer to move images.

I'm more wondering why there is so much overhead or why there is such poor performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been numerous reports of users losing files when moving a large amount (100+) of images from inside LR. See this post for more details: Lightroom: Moving files, resulted in deleting the files | Photoshop Family Customer Community

The best advice is to not move files once imported into LR and use Picks, Ratings, Labels, Keywords and Collections for "organizing" your images.Here's what I suggest when you do need to move a large number files. Scroll down to reply #13: Re: How do I move my pictures to external hard drive?

Concerning poor performance is this also happening when importing, editing, or exporting images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd,

Haven't seen that issue of people losing files whilst moving images, will be careful in future with regards to LR movements.
Thanks for linking that - however not currently one of my problems.

As for moving images, I guess the general consensus is to manually move via Windows explorer and re-link the folder from within LR.

Importing/Editing/exporting is fine. I do have some GUI interface lag, when opening LR or switching between panels (i get a persistent lag). This is sometimes met with a momentary spinning blue wheel (mouse pointer).

I've had a few blue screens but that issue is potentially deeper than just LR, but I do think that LR is susceptible to the odd memory corruption and subsequent BSOD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear you haven't experienced any "lost Files" when moving images. When doing a large move how many files do you typically have selected? I'm just trying to get an idea of what works versus those with issues.

c_creative   wrote

Importing/Editing/exporting is fine. I do have some GUI interface lag, when opening LR or switching between panels (i get a persistent lag). This is sometimes met with a momentary spinning blue wheel (mouse pointer).

Previous versions of LR did not work well with processors that have more than four cores.

Lightroom: Slow performance on Xeon CPUs | Photoshop Family Customer Community

The AMD TR4 1950 processor has 16 cores (32 Threads). I did a quick Google search on words lightroom classic ryzen slow. There are a lot of users with AMD Ryzen processors experiencing poor performance with LR Classic. I would suggest disabling the GPU and see if that speeds things up. Go to Edit>  Preferences> Performance and uncheck 'Use Graphics Processor.' If that doesn't help you can try the fix suggested by Adobe Engineer Simon Chen here.

Lightroom: Very bad utilization of AMD Ryzen 1800X. Sluggish performance. | Photoshop Family Custome...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically a large transfer will consist of a few thousand files (maybe up to 5000 images).

I will take you advice onboard and use the windows explore to transfer images from now on.

Also, I wanted to thank you for pointing me in direction of that script. That is a godsend and has significantly improved the responsiveness of the interface. NB: I have not disabled the graphics processor (a NVIDIA GTX 970 in my case).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear the config.lua file fix helps. I'm surprised Adobe hasn't incorporated something like this in the LR installer to do it automatically based on detected processor core count. Hopefully Adobe will fix this in the next major release.

I'm using a 2560 x 1440 display and with the graphics processor enabled it speeds up the global controls, but slows down the local controls (Adjustment Brush). When I need to do a lot of local corrections I uncheck it, but that's not often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File -> Optimize catalog dramatically improved move-speed for me. I have a brand new 2TB SSD in an iMac 2012.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "I have a brand new 2TB SSD in an iMac 2012."

Impressive, I believe this contributed to the improved speed.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the thing is that I noticed low performance when moving pictures after I started using this new disk. Slower than before, actually. So I optimized the catalog and got an immediate improvement. My old disk was a hybrid, so the new one is not really very much faster. Actually there are other operations that are remarkably slow. One is updating the counts for number of pictures per folder, that seems to be done every time I open the catalog. This is slower than before, and I do not understand why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ottopaul  wrote

Actually there are other operations that are remarkably slow. One is updating the counts for number of pictures per folder, that seems to be done every time I open the catalog. This is slower than before, and I do not understand why.

I believe this started with the LR 7.2 update that added the 'Filter Folders' search box in the Folders panel. On my high-end Windows 10 system I see the same slow updating of picture count in each folder.

Lightroom Classic 7.2: Very slow to build the folder structure | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines