• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Redaction Tool - Redacting What was Not Choosen

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the redaction tool in DC which I have used many times. I hit redact. Text and Images, Highlight what I want redacted and hit apply. It is redacting what I highlighted but also highlight the first letter and last of most of the other sentences on the document I did not select.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, you should always hover over the highlight and preview it before you apply the Redaction. If it is wrong, delete it and start again.

Second, if you are having trouble with it selecting too much, then Command + Drag (Control + Drag if you are on Windows) to make a more precise selection for the Redaction before hitting Apply.

Does this help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane-e you are a genius! Been struggling for an hour and just used control and drag and as if by magic, sorted! THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Tahdahr,

You’re welcome, and I’m glad it’s working for you!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At the moment, I select the items I want to redact (text like 123 234 345 - that is, numbers with spaces - but the same numbers) and it does redact them, but redacts other numbers too! Should I try "123 345 456" - or something? only want to redact these numeric sequences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having a similar problem - when I select to redact from a document, after applying the redaction, I am left with random black marks on other document pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can happen with PDF files that were created in a problematic manner. I believe I saw this happening with GhostScript files.

The only solution is to completely re-create them using Acrobat, ie export each page to an image file and then create a new PDF file from those images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes many are having this same issue - no answer yet from Adobe:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem. When I redact information on one page, black rectangles show up in the same area on the other pages of my document. I have a large image that takes up most of my document's second page. When I drag and redact it, the preview looks completely normal. However, after I apply the redaction, there is a large black rectangle on all three pages of my document.

I have tried going back to the original Word document and resaving as a pdf again--same result.

I have tried going back to the original Word document and clicking "Save as Adobe pdf"--same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Forrest,

How are you marking the text for redaction? By dragging or with Cmd+Drag (Ctrl+Drag on Windows)?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem. It seems that if I find and mark text for redaction it displays perfectly, but when I apply it also redacts all of the 'hidden information'. But I have not selected the hidden info for redaction. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too had a huge PDF doc. Unfortunately I had to hit apply after each marking, which took quite a long time--but it worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My office is also having major problems with this. Now that Marsy's Law is in effect, we have to redact soooo much information from our police reports. These come from many different agencies using different software to create their PDFs. It's ridiculous that it is happening so frequently across so many different agencies' PDFs. The only thing I have found to get around it is to remove just Objects from the Remove Hidden Information section and re-run text recognition on the file. It noticeably diminshes the quality of text in the PDF. Adobe needs to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines