• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch Rename Using Regex

Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have many pictures with the name IMG_1234-[1-4].  How do I remove the -Num[1-4]?.

Lightroom must have added the -4 because the folder that I imported from does not have it.  If I delete everything in the collection then re-import them the filenames will have -5 added to them.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

See this article for how to do more complex file renaming within LR: Complex file renaming in Lightroom made simple(r) – Lightroom Solutions . You could do four renames to remove "-1", "-2", "-3", and "-4".

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, if you have done NO work at all (no edits, no adding metadata, no adding to collections, etc.) on the photos, you could go ahead and delete the photos and then re-import them. But otherwise, re-import is a BAD thing to do, you could lose your metadata, your edits, your collections, etc. So please don't do that.

Renaming photos outside of Lightroom is also a very destructive thing to do, because it essentially renders your Lightroom catalog useless on those photos. They become disconnected inside of Lightroom (or "missing" in Lightroom) and the only way to fix this is one photo at a time.

So, what is the best thing to do regarding the file name IMG_1234-[1-4]? In my opinion, the best thing to do is ignore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already thought of that but I keep hoping someone from Adobe will tell me that it can't be done.

Thanks for your response,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this article for how to do more complex file renaming within LR: Complex file renaming in Lightroom made simple(r) – Lightroom Solutions . You could do four renames to remove "-1", "-2", "-3", and "-4".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your  help dj.  Unfortunately I was impatient and made the changes to the pictures and are now ready to send to the customer.  But I will try to remember the tool next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines