Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

linking to a network *.avi video as a link

Mar 17, 2009 Mar 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my media videos were initially created on a sharepoint site ( http://) so i could link to the file within robohelp.

I now need to store them on a network server with a folder and i have been using file hyperlink in robohelp 8 to link to them. However, after saving the topic the file link has actually copied the video to the robohelp location and those the video is now enbedded into my chm.

Is it possible to create a link to a file on a network server without having to embed the video into the chm? I have tried replacing http:// with file: and \\server-1 but they just get replaced with ../../*.avi.

I dont want to embed the videos i just want i link so i can updated the videos without having to re-generate the chm manual.

regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 18, 2009 Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anita,

I did something similar; I simply used Insert Hyperlink > Web Address and pasted the server address, which I copied out of my browser address window. For safety I preceded it with a paragraph:

The film can be downloaded from our Intranet server with the link below (if necessary paste the link into your browser):

I tested it on a couple of other PCs and it seemed to work. Clicking the link gives the "Save File" message, user can then save it to his/her desktop or any other location, and then run it.

This was HTML Help (CHM) on RoboHelp 5 and it still works with RH7.

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

I dont want the users to download the videos, i need the link to run the video off the network server. This is not related to a intranet server at all.

for example:

\\server-1\App\TutorialVideos\introduction.avi

gets turned into ../../introduction.avi

the video ends up in the root of the mulitimedia folder of robohelp. Thus, if i understand this correctly it has just imported the file into robohelp local location before i generate the chm.

Instead of a URL been put in the URLs folder of robohelp.

Ok i have just tried with a text file and the network link works as a hyperlink. But if i trying with an AVI file robohelp is just importing it into the multimedia folder and not linking.

So is there any known issues with AVI files on a network server as a hyperlink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, can't help you further. I'll have to turn you over to one of the clever people on this board.

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for trying Derek.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anita

I plan on trying to help you sort this but am in a bit of a time crunch at the moment. Watch this thread and when I'm able I'll update to make some suggestions.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again Anita

You are creating compiled CHM files, no?

If so, I'm thinking you could easily work past this by using the HTML Help Shortcut Control. Usually the Shortcut Control is used for launching things such as Windows Calculator or Windows Notepad. But I'm thinking it may work here to open the video clip separately and keep the actual clip outside of RoboHelp.

The only other option that immediately comes to mind is to use a redirect topic. But a Shortcut Control is simpler, so let's go there first.

To insert a Shortcut Control:
Open the desired topic in the Document Editing Pad.
Click inside your topic where you want the Shortcut Control to be inserted.
Click Insert > HTML Help Controls > Shortcut.
Enter some text to use for the button. (Or choose an image or possibly make it hidden)
Type \\server-1\App\TutorialVideos\introduction.avi into the field where it says: Program to run when shortcut is activated.
Click Next > then Finish.
Compile and test.

Keep us posted on the outcome! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 25, 2009 Mar 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick

I have tried the shortcut controller method and if i just paste the server link into the "Program to run when shortcut is activated." it is accepted but it is not working.

I then tried to use the browse (folder) to navigate to the location of the avi but i can only link to an EXE file and no other extension is available.

what is this redirect topic idea you have?

regards

anita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 25, 2009 Mar 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Perhaps try typing simply wmplayer.exe as the program to run. Then supply the path and file name as a parameter?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much for helping Rich this was the solution to get my stuff to work on the network server.

regards

anita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 11, 2009 Dec 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi again

after designing a manual with html help control link in for my server based videos. We have now decided to test out a web based manual for the users.

Unfortuately, these html help controls no longer work in a webhelp version.

Anybody know why or how to fix this?

regards

Anita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp