Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sync Questions

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm working on getting photos over to my new computer.

1) When I synced with the cloud, my previous photos transferred but how come the collections didn’t transfer?

2) Is it necessary to transfer the original files? Or, can I keep the original files on a hard drive and just use the synced photos on my new computer for access, to avoid taking up hard drive space?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jwnicholsdds,

Could you please let us know the exact version of Lightroom you are using on both machines? Also, are you looking to use this second machine only for the editing purpose?

If you are using Lightroom CC- Cloud version then, please refer the following tutorial: Use Lightroom CC across your devices |

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7.4 on both systems.

Essentially, I don't want to use the desktop anymore. I want to operate out of just my laptop.

(But I don't want a ton of files to bog down my OS speed...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so Mohit has referred a link that will give info on how to use sync between your mobile devices.

With respect to LR Classic cc specifically you can sync Collections from your desktop to the Creative Cloud and Smart previews will be stored in your Cloud storage and you can access these files with your laptop and other mobile devices. However you need to be aware that you can only have images from one LR Classic ​at any point in time. So if you sync Collections from your Catalog on the laptop then the Collections from the desktop will be removed..

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thing to consider either store your image files on an external HDD so you can use them with your laptop and LR Classic.

Or consider using LR cc on your laptop to access the Collections from the desktop.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DdeGannes,

Thank you for your replies. I'm still a bit confused however. Why is lightroom so confusing????????

When I set up Lightroom Classic CC on my laptop, it transferred a ton of photos over (presumably from my desktop version) but then this DRAMATICALLY slowed down my computer and ate up lots of memory/battery. Therefore now I'm thinking it would just be best to store these on the cloud now....

My original question was still not addressed: The collections however did NOT transfer over from my desktop classic CC to my laptop classic CC. Is there a way to do this without transferring the actual files and eating memory? Perhaps use the lightroom CC?

My second question was still not addressed:

Is it necessary to transfer the original files? Or, can I keep the original files on a hard drive and just use the synced photos on my new computer for access, to avoid taking up hard drive space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines