• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom: How to export settings when photo is not available?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I need some help. I've made changes in Develop settings on a couple of photos, backed up the lightroom catalog, but then unfortunately deleted those photos.

So now when I open Lightroom, I see the preset settings but they are greyed out, and due to "photo not available" message, I am not able to Copy the Develop settings so I could apply that to other pictures.

Is there any way how to export or copy Develop settings, when original photo is not available, but the catalog is? !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

WOOO HOOO guys I solved it!

For anyone else that may face the same issue: All I did was a bit of a trick, but still worked. In Library section, I have found what was the original location of the RAW file that I deleted, including its name. So I closed Lightroom, found a different RAW file and copied it to the location of the original file and renamed it, so a bit of a trick to Lightroom. After re-launching Lightroom, I have used "Locate missing photo" and pointed LR to the newly create file, whi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jan,

I just tried it at my end and I'm able to copy the settings from an unavailable image, could you please let us know which version of Lightroom you're working on and which operating system are you using?

I made the previews when I first imported the images in Lightroom, If you did not make previews then you're not be able to even edit the unavailable images.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sahil, thank you very much for prompt response! I'm using the CC version which is regularly updated, so I am on the latest:

Lightroom Classic version: 7.5 [ 1186149 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en

Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition

Version: 10.0.17134

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Attached is also a screenshot from the catalog I'd like to export settings from. When I choose Copy in the Develop Settings section, which I normally use, the dialog where I can choose what settings I want to copy, does not pop up. lightroom_cc.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A thought-!

Have you tried making a Develop Preset of the one 'missing' developed file (using Check 'all' )?

You may be able to apply this Preset to other files that do exist (and are not 'missing') in the catalog.

Of course, it is limited to the 'Global' adjustments (Basic panel, etc) and not brushing, gradients, etc.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have, unfortunately the problem is that I can not access Develop Preset section, and even Presets on the left side (see screenshot above) is black (inaccessible) for the Option button to create new preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of copying the develop settings in the Develop module, do it in Library.  Select the missing photo and do Photo > Develop Settings > Copy Settings. Then select a non-missing photo and do Photo > Develop Settings > Paste Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this option too John, Copy feature in the Library unfortunately does not pop up the selection window to choose which settings to copy. Same as in the Develop section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this option too John, Copy feature in the Library unfortunately does not pop up the selection window to choose which settings to copy. Same as in the Develop section.

A little investigation shows that you can invoke Copy Settings when the missing photo still has a preview thumbnail showing in Library. But if the preview isn't showing (e.g. because previews have been deleted), then you can't invoke Copy Settings -- weird.

But glad you found a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Plzz help Me My Lightroom setting plzzzz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOOO HOOO guys I solved it!

For anyone else that may face the same issue: All I did was a bit of a trick, but still worked. In Library section, I have found what was the original location of the RAW file that I deleted, including its name. So I closed Lightroom, found a different RAW file and copied it to the location of the original file and renamed it, so a bit of a trick to Lightroom. After re-launching Lightroom, I have used "Locate missing photo" and pointed LR to the newly create file, which was just the RAW file without any XMP, and it did use the preset that was stored in the Catalog file from the original file!

YAY! I now can Create a new preset from the values that were imported from the Catalog and my Develop settings are restored Success

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines