• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 7 Thumbnails

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When viewing thumbnails in folders using windows explorer the RAW files will not display the image (no problems with JPEG) unless I double click on them and then the programme  I have associated with these files will open then and display the photos in that programme e.g Lightroom or Picasa. What I want is to be able to see the images in the folder without launching any viewing programme

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To view thumbnails in Windows File Explorer, you'll need to install a raw codec that understands the particular manufacturer's raw files.  You could first try installing the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack: Download Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (6.3.9721.0) from Official Microsoft Download Center (See Details on that page for a list of supported cameras.) 

The Camera Codec Pack doesn't appear to have been updated since 2014. If your camera isn't on the list, you could try the manufacturer's Web site.  If that doesn't help, you could Google for a third-party codec.  But don't be surprised if the codecs aren't compatible with Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I thought having already installed Lightroom which can open the files in question that Lightroom would do this for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I thought having already installed Lightroom which can open the files in question that Lightroom would do this for me?

No.  Adobe doesn't provide camera codecs for either Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder.  With Adobe software, you can only view raw files in Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw (via Photoshop or Bridge).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried installing the MS codec but it made no difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What's the manufacturer and exact model of camera(s) whose raw files you want to view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines