• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2018, Brush tool skips occasionally/randomly

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so I have been becoming increasingly frustrated with a small bug that keeps rearing its head while I do my work.

I primarily use the brush tool, since I am a digital painter, and the brush seems to occasionally skip, causing me to have to redraw strokes.

The skipping isn't often enough that it prevents me from working entirely, but it's enough to make my work much less enjoyable, since I can always expect to run into this issue every few minutes. It is also very frustrating since the issue seems to be random, and so, unavoidable.

I found this post from last year that discusses the same issue in more detail, but it doesn't look like it has been resolved.

Tablet skipping strokes when pressing lightly, losing sensitivity

One extra factor not mentioned, that may be exclusive to me, is that the problem seems to persist after I Crtl + Z. I have to physically erase the skipped mark in order to produce a non-skipped mark again.

I use two different computers, one Windows 10 and the other Mac OS, with the same tablet. Both operating systems produce the same issue.

Details:

Photoshop CC 2018 v19.1.2

Windows 10 Pro

i7-3770K, AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series, 16GB RAM

Mac OS High Sierra v10.13.3

Macbook Pro (Retina,15-Inch Mid 2015)

Wacom Cintiq Pro 13

I have considered it being a problem with my tablet, or possibly my cables, but this behavior is relatively new to the last 3 months, so I believe it's more likely from the 19.1 update to Photoshop CC.

I have reinstalled the drivers and Photoshop on both computers multiple times. I have even reinstalled windows 10 multiple times on my windows machine (this occurred as well on Windows 7 before i upgraded).

I regularly monitor CPU load, temperatures, and RAM usage. All of these have never been close to full load/utilization outside of an intentional burden.

I use SMC fan control to regulate the temperature on my Macbook Pro to an average 40'C.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does changing the Smoothing setting (to 0% to begin with) have any effect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried various levels of smoothing and increased spacing and other different brush settings during my own testing and regular use of the brush tool. It doesn't seem to improve or alter the problem. I believe the only factor that causes the random skipping is the use of pen pressure, as is mentioned in the discussion I linked. I'm wondering if it may be that Photoshop has a hard time recognizing a certain group of pressure levels. Maybe the math no longer works out computationally because of an update. ...not that this speculation solves anything...

My default brush setting is:

Round, Hardness 100%, Shape Dynamics: Pen Pressure, Transfer: Pen Pressure, Spacing 1%, Smoothing: 10%, Size: 5-50px

I regularly vary the angle, add texture, dual brush, vary the control of pen pressure, add color dynamics, and so on. All of these settings change often, since the brush tool is my primary tool on Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I currently use intous pro with pro pen.

I am having the same problem, where the brush stroke will occasionally skip.

Have you found a solution for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Justin, I was about to accuse you of starting a duplicate thread, because your wording is so similar from a thread a few days ago, but I see that was not you.  Now we have Min Kook who apparently has the same problem, so that makes three, which is sounding like a bug.

At this stage, I'd be inclined to start a thread on the Feedback site, but check out the other thread first.  If you think it is the same issue, then start a thread on the Feedback site, and link to both this and other thread to show it appears to be a recurring problem

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and its driving me insane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

resetting the brush tool helped a bit for me:

Untitled-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Talked with a wacom guy who I think gave me the solution, apparently it was a corrupted preference.

This is the wacom guy exact instruction:

Make sure the tablet is connected directly to the computer's USB port

Make a backup of the preferences by accessing Applications > Wacom Tablet > Utility > Back Up under My Preferences > Save file

Remove the preferences by accessing Applications > Wacom Tablet > Utility > Remove under My Preferences

Test the pen without restoring the preferences to discard that there might be a corrupted setting that is causing the pen issue

Go to System Preferences > Wacom Tablet > About > Diagnostics

Hold the pen over the tablet without touching it (5mm) and check the pressure reading

Press the pen on the tablet and check the pressure reading and check if there are places on the tablet where the pressure is ''0''

After all the above went well, I restored my backed up preference, stop and started the wacom service, now all seems to be well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does not worrk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines