• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader Search problem

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2009 Jun 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Adobe Reader 9 we have a problem with the "find" (search the content of pdf files). Sometimes it works fine and sometimes the search result highlights incorrect words.

We use now Adobe Reader 9.1.2 but had the same problem on 9.1.0. It seems that the count of results is correct, but not the highlightet word. The files have the PDF-version 1.4.

Do anyone know the problem or have an idea whats wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 02, 2009 Jul 02, 2009

The Problem was not Adobe Reader!

We use ScanSoft PDF Create! to create the PDF files directly from Word 2007. In the tool settings we activated now the option "Optimize for Web Viewing". Now it works correctly with every testet document.

pdf.png

But it still strange, that we didn't had the Problem with Adobe Reader 8.

Many thanks for your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buddy i m surprised to read your problem. i have used both the versions but i never had a problem. can you please make some example of words that was being find my adobe properly??

[spam signature deleted]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar difficulty with the search function in Adobe Reader. So I updated to V. 9.1. The problem is still extant -- sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

I save a PDF file from the web, then open Reader V. 9.1 and open the file. I scroll down to a proper name in the file and enter it into the search field and click the "Find Next in Current PDF" option. Sometimes it works, other times it tells me "No matches were found." Yet, I am looking right at the word/name.

Suggestions? It would really be helpful if the Search function worked and worked consistently.

Lucca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2009 Jun 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Offhand, I'd think the files are scans that have been OCRd incorrectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Micheal,

For those of us less informed could you please elaborate. Is there more than one way or format to scan a PDF file?

Thnaks,

Lucca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2009 Jun 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together, many thanks for your responses

I'm thinking the problem source is the PDFCreate! we are using to create the PDFs from the original word files. It seems that the problem only appear on some files. And even the search than sometime works fine. But I have to do some tests now. I'll let you know if I have more infos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2009 Jul 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Problem was not Adobe Reader!

We use ScanSoft PDF Create! to create the PDF files directly from Word 2007. In the tool settings we activated now the option "Optimize for Web Viewing". Now it works correctly with every testet document.

pdf.png

But it still strange, that we didn't had the Problem with Adobe Reader 8.

Many thanks for your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2010 Jun 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the explanation. I did not knew it was from that software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2010 Aug 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say, I have what I think is a related question.  In a PDF file, how can one tell whether the PDF is searchable or not?  Is there something in Document Properties that gives a clue?  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having exactly the same problem.

Is there any solution avaliable?AdobeSearchError.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2010 Oct 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@espatzeb

As you can read in my own reply, the problem was by the creating of the document. So I think there won't be a solution by Adobe for this problem. Try other options/applications to create the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2010 Oct 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first questions is, why does Adobe 8 search work properly with all

those documents?

Second, the documents in question haven't bee generated by myself, but

were official documents from Sun Microsystems / Oracle. So I have no

chance to regenerate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2010 Oct 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats a real good question, but seems not really interesting for the adobe guys...

Hope you'll be more luky than me finding the correct answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2010 Nov 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unable to use Find successfully on one .pdf document using Adobe Reader 9.4.1 but had success by viewing the .pdf document using Preview (v. 4.2) on my Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may solve the problem I believe on Adobe Reader level.

I had this problem. I did: Menu Edit -> Preferences -> Search ->Purge Cache Contents in  "Fast Find" Section.

You may also consider not using "Fast Find".

The above helped for all the documents I had the problem with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I will give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, that solved my problem too.

Thanks a lot for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Mate... I was having the same issue and your steps solved my problem.

Seems its the Find/Search cache which is the root cause of this problem.

I did the following as you suggested:

Menu Edit -> Preferences -> Search ->Purge Cache Contents in  "Fast Find" Section.

And it worked

Thank you!

Peace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having problem with text search in Adobe reader latest version 9.3.

One pdf file generated through a pdf printer inside a word processing program and has around 100 pages. So there is no issue of having a scanned document which is not searchable.

In this document, when I try to search the text inside the pdf file using Adobe Reader 9.0, it is working alright and it is recognising the text searched for.

However, When the same pdf file is searched using Adobe Reader 9.3 and 9.4 etc it is not searching the text which is present at more than five places in the document.

Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have been facing the same problem I had before.

All worked fine after disabling fast find

(Menu Edit -> Preferences -> Search. Deselect "Enable Fast Find")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader DC version 2017.012.20095 on Windows 10 (up to date).

When I use the CTRL+F, I can find only the first occurence. Then Adobe Reader DC crash. Impossible to jump to the next occurence.

Réinstall the software, emptied the quick search memory as suggested by some people here.

Nothing seem to work

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My name is Thierry Mansour and not Mosanto. How did this name come from ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open up the document in Adobe Acrobat,

File > Save As other > Optimized PDF > (on the top left of the PDF Optimizer window you'll see )  SETTINGS > Click on the Mobile option.

And save the pdf w/ the new settings.

Open it up back up on Adobe Acrobat

Should work then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This are bad instructions for user of Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to have worked for me on all my files.

Did this not work for you ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines